Is it even worth it to build a PC right now, with Zen coming out soon?

sobson

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
So I'm building a 'budget' 1080p machine ($900) and I was thinking i5-6600k but knowing AMD they will probably introduce the next go-to budget chip as part of the Zen family, so I wanted your advice - do you think Zen will be cost-efficient enough to justify waiting that extra time?
Also, any idea when we can expect info more substantial than '8 cores 16 threads?

Sorry if the post is a tad confusing, speaking English is not my best quality.

Thanks!

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Not really. Even in the case that AMD's hype is accurate and the flagship desktop FX is somewhere between Broadwell and Skylake, they'll likely price it accordingly - a little less than Intel, but not an outright budget CPU (their current silicon mostly fell in price due to necessity, not out of desire to have them be budget CPUs). It may be a competitive CPU, but if you're looking to build right now, I'm not seeing any tangible benefit to waiting.

that, and also...intel next gen kaby lake is around the corner...a couple of months maybe...if u r not hard pressed to build right now, wait for zen and kaby to come out in competition...certainly a better future for consumers...

Solution