Is it faulty motherboard? Should I RMA it? Please help!

Ben-Erai

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Hello everybody,
graphics artifacts have started to appear on my system – flickering/disappearing textures and objects, disappearing shadows, strange bars of light,... Here are examples in Metro 2033 Redux (Polis Station): http://youtu.be/zhF7bv4MFWA?list=UUo8ECYgLS0QrY8WlbxuPxuA
and in The Evil Within: http://i.imgur.com/xCosmKU.jpg?1
There are strange graphics „things“ also in Metro Last Light Redux, Far Cry 4 and Crysis.

My system:
i7-4790K, Asus Maximus VII Ranger, Kingston 16GB DDR3-1866 CL9 Savage, Asus GTX980-4GD5, SSD 240GB SanDisk Extreme II, HDD 2TB WD Green, Corsair RM650, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

I assume it could be faulty motherboard – PCIe 3.0 x16 slot or lanes – because:
1. PCIe graphics card is OK. I put my GTX980 into friend´s system – no artifacts (tested in Metro 2033 Redux). I put friend´s GTX650 into my system – there were artifacts.
2. PSU is OK. I switched Cooler Master G750M to Corsair RM650 – still artifacts.
3. RAM is OK. Memtest86+ without errors, mdsched.exe without errors.
4. CPU is (probably) OK. Artifacts stop to appear when I switch from PCIe graphics to integrated CPU graphics. This would indicate that my PC doesn´t produce artifacts unless PCIe is involved somehow (slot/lanes).
5. SSD and HDD are OK – artifacts appear regardless of which drive games are installed on.
6. Artifacts appear on HDMI and also DVI cable.
7. Artifacts appear regardless of graphics settings in game.

Strange is that artifacts don´t appear in 3DMark13 Firestrike, nor in Unigine Heaven, nor in OCCT or EVGA OC Scanner X or MSI Kombustor. All drivers and BIOS are up to date, no OC whatsoever, temps are OK, airflow OK (negative pressure).

So what do you think is causing my problems? Is it faulty motherboard? (only few weeks from purchase) Please help, I don´t know what to do, whether to RMA motherboard or what... :-(
Thanks.

Ben-Erai

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

When booting, there are no artifacts. Only in games. I didn´t try different PCIe slot - if broken lanes are the case, it would affect all PCIe slots, or am I mistaken?

anti-duck

Honorable
It could just be dust in a slot, it's worth trying anyway :) Saying that, if I had some serious doubts concerning an expensive component and had eliminated everything else, I would return it within the return period for a refund.

Ben-Erai

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

I mean exact spot on screen = exact position/object in game, like "this particular chair in this particular living-room"

anti-duck

Honorable
Well you have effectively eliminated your monitor being at fault already when you switched to the iGPU, really strange issue unfortunately :( I would just RMA the motherboard to be honest and you might be able to completely narrow it down to a faulty PCIe slot by testing your video card in another slot.

Ben-Erai

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Yes, it looks I will have to RMA it. But first I´m going to try the second PCIe slot and also reinstall of Win to run the game in clean environment.