Question Is it fine to remove recovery partition ?

Devagg

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
I just clean install my windows because its full of bloatware from the shop that I bought and i wipe all partition drive including recovery partition. Well my windows just fine and successfully installed. But i just wondering is it fine to remove this recovery partition ?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Do you take regular full system image backups, and, if so, were you to need to recover would you prefer to use the most recent one as your recovery media?

If the above is so, then nuke it. If not, then don't. They're so small anyway that I seldom bother with them.

Reactions: Devagg

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
That depends.
If you left the OEM recovery partition on the drive when you clean installed, then yes....

However, even a stock Windows install has a recovery partition (for "reset", "safe mode" etc) and that should remain.

Your boot drive should look like this:
444.png

The 450mb recovery partition Windows 10 installs does not appear to get updated when a new feature update/build is installed every 6 months so I have been deleting them. I have no use for a recovery partition holding 1507 or 1511 when running 1803 to 1903, and a bootable DVD or USB install media does the same thing.

So if that's what you have deleted, fear not! It would've only been convenient for less than a year anyway, and you will simply be prompted for install media if it is required.

Devagg

Prominent
Aug 21, 2019
Thanks guys. And another question. I believe when you booting from Bootable Windows 10 USB Flash drive your bios give you text/message "press any key to boot from USB" but this text/message doesnt appear on my screen. So after i choose to boot by USB in bios, my bios restart as usual and just immediately go to windows setup screen without asking if i want to boot from USB or not. This is strange because i do remember correctly this message/text will appear everytime your windows restart during the installation as long as your flash drive still plug in.
Sorry if i cant explain better. But the point is i want this screen(screenshots) appear every time my windows restart during windows installation progress, to make sure if my bios actually boot from hard drive and not from flash drive because if your bios boot from flash drive again after copying windows file and then reboot you will back to first step again.
ayOgOQN.png