[SOLVED] Is it fine to use a extension cord and a multi-outlet on a high end computer

Feb 23, 2021
My computer runs from a 750W Fractal Design: Edison Modular PSU - 80 Plus Gold, Ryzen 5 5600X and a Asus TUF 3070 OC.
I was thinking about moving my PC to the other side of the room, but that would require a extension cord and a multi-outlet would this work for a 750Watt PC or would this causes issues?

Solution
It would work, but it's not recommended. Adding an extension cord just adds another point of possible failure. If the extension cord isn't rated at least as high as the power strip, it could become a fire hazard. Not to mention doing such violates most housing regulations. If you're renting, it could be grounds for eviction.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
It would work, but it's not recommended. Adding an extension cord just adds another point of possible failure. If the extension cord isn't rated at least as high as the power strip, it could become a fire hazard. Not to mention doing such violates most housing regulations. If you're renting, it could be grounds for eviction.

-Wolf sends

Solution

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Adding to what Wolfshadw says, using an extension cord, or multiple power strips together is always frowned upon because people plug things into them, the more sockets available the more thing, the more power through one wall socket.

In theory doing so is just fine so long as you do not get too close to the limit (check what yours is), but as stated, doing so it not a good idea generally, and adds potential points of failure, and also as stated, not all things are created equal, or even to a good standard.

If you know what you are doing and have TOTAL control over all of the sockets then you can do as I have done and break all of the rules and still be nowhere near the max power limit, don't do what I do unless you know what you are doing, AND have total control over access to the power plugs and extensions.