[SOLVED] Is it fine to use a SATA III data cable that didn't come with my motherboard?

liamlarsen17

Prominent
Jan 6, 2019
This is potentially a really stupid question so my bad if so, just want to make absolutely sure before breaking the bank since I haven't seen this answered elsewhere. Basically I've been running a meh hard drive since 2014 and want to finally upgrade to an SSD, and I have SATA III power cables from my PSU but if my motherboard ever came with an extra SATA III data cable it was lost at some point, I was wondering if there would be any kind of incompatibility if I were to buy a new cable instead of using one associated with the motherboard? From what I've read that my motherboard (MSI B85-G41 PC Mate, fairly old one) does have 2 SATA III connectors and should otherwise be totally compatible with the SSD I'm looking at (Samsung 860 QVO MZ-76Q1T0BW at 1 terabyte) unless I've grossly overlooked or misunderstood something, is there anything to be concerned about? And if not is there anything in particular to look out for when buying a new SATA III data cable?

Solution
Data cables follow a universal standard and is fine to use cables from elsewhere. It's the power cables people have to be careful of. Modular Psu pin arrangements don't follow a standard and keeping to original cables concerning power is important.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Data cables follow a universal standard and is fine to use cables from elsewhere. It's the power cables people have to be careful of. Modular Psu pin arrangements don't follow a standard and keeping to original cables concerning power is important.

Reactions: liamlarsen17
Solution

liamlarsen17

Prominent
Jan 6, 2019
Ok awesome, thank you! It was mainly because of PSU cable concerns in the past that I felt I should ask and be sure lol

Reactions: boju