[SOLVED] Is it good to update my BIOS considering it's latest update was in 2010?

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
Bios Version/Date:
American Megatrends Inc. 6.07, 19/05/2010

My motherboard came in an HP prebuilt which I later modified to meet my gaming standards. It's called a MS-7163 and is quite an old motherboard.

I know the saying, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' however I was just wondering what your opinion was and whether or not I should update my BIOS.

Thanks!

There's something to be said for the old "don't fix what ain't broke" philosophy. But then, BIOS updates also have addressed security issues and especially those affecting Intel CPU's. But whether it represents a real threat for your system, even if it's one of the affected CPU's, is pretty 'iffy'.

HP usually provides a pretty good...meaning reliable....utility suite that will update BIOS for you. That's one of the benefits of buying a pre-built from a company specializing in corporate managed systems.

The usual best advice is to not update a bios unless you are having a problem that is impacting you and if there is a flash that looks to address that problem.
Most of the time, a flash goes just fine.
But, if it does not complete, you can be left with a non functioning motherboard.
Older motherboards did not have the recovery capabilities that newer motherboards have.
Not completing can happen in a variety of ways.
Best to use a usb flash, not windows to eliminate interruption from an internet problem.
A flash takes quite a long time with nothing apparent going on. Perhaps 10 minutes or more.
Some people will get antsy and stop the process prematurely.
Of course, there is always the possibility of a power failure, causing the pc to stop.

In the light of all this, along with only speculative benefits, do not flash without a good reason.

You might update a bios on speculation for a new motherboard where you have nothing serious invested.
Actually, that is probably a good idea since new motherboards will often have an initial flurry of updates correcting minor issues.

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
I still have a working h61 system. The onlu reason i did a bios update was for a gpu. The pc would not post with a 1050 oc. Bios update sorted it and that was the first and only bios update that i did, three years ago.

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
Bios updates address bugs, compatibility and performance issues. If you have none of those then id follow the saying's advice.
Well, I'm now replying to your from my HDD because my computer had a Blue Screen of Death and now I can't boot to my SSD. This has happened in the past and I've needed to re-plug my SATA cables in. I have a strong feeling this is an issue from my motherboard.

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
If your system is not giving problems or issues, dont update
Well, I'm now replying to your from my HDD because my computer had a Blue Screen of Death and now I can't boot to my SSD. This has happened in the past and I've needed to re-plug my SATA cables in. I have a strong feeling this is an issue from my motherboard.

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
If you haven't changed any hardware in recent months and its started doing this, its not going to be the bios. its more likely something is wearing out and needs replacing

What was code of BSOD?
I didn't see the code. It just said it was fixing an issue and restarted, booting into my HDD. About three months ago I opened my case to see what it'd be like when I install my new CPU (already installed). However, when I put it on it's back, I didn't notice that my hard drive fell out of spot and sat on the SATA cable for my SSD (never screwed in the HDD). I had these issues repeatedly until two weeks later I decided to open my case and see what's up considering I tried out all methods I could think of software related. It was sitting on the cable for a long time that it must've damaged it. I just swapped both cords so that if my HDD disappeared from my BIOS and Windows, I could still use my OS (SSD) until I either fixed the issue again or got a brand new SATA cable. We'll see what happens though. I still don't like the fact that the latest update of my motherboard was from 2010 :/

Colif

Win 11 Master
I still don't like the fact that the latest update of my motherboard was from 2010 :/
well, motherboard is about same age. They don't keep updating them for long after release, maybe a few years at most. Its time to start thinking about a new PC. They don't last forever and 10 years is when weird things start to happen. Parts break from old age.