[SOLVED] is it hard to remove and replace vrm thermal pads?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
in the future, im planning to stick an aio (yes, using zip ties or maybe customizing the brackets by drilling holes to it to fit my gpu)to my gpu (r9 290x).

when i repasted my gpu two weeks ago, i noticed that it has quite a lot of thermal pads

it wasn't sticky and was actually easy to peel off.

i am just wondering if there are any risks to removing it.

i have a lot of experience repasting gpus. it has helped if i let the gpu run a stress test and let it reach hot temperatures before removing the shroud... i am wondering if doing the same will make it easier to remove the thermal pads.

my main concern is ripping off the vrms with the heatpads if theyre stuck well...........................

Solution
Thermal pads even off old cards (have a few 780 Ti's laying around) come off very easily. If removing the thermal pads you need to replace them with the same thickness or as close as possible. The pad transfers heat from the vram to the cooling block, if not there you will cook the vram in no time with no airflow over them.
Thermal pads even off old cards (have a few 780 Ti's laying around) come off very easily. If removing the thermal pads you need to replace them with the same thickness or as close as possible. The pad transfers heat from the vram to the cooling block, if not there you will cook the vram in no time with no airflow over them.

Last edited:
Reactions: barkersofgeraldine
Solution