[SOLVED] Is it harmful to flip the Power Supply switch off after I shut down my PC?

Jul 30, 2020
I've heard that's an overkill to flip the physical switch on PSU. But I live in storm prone area, so I'm concerned about lightning strikes.

Am i wearing out capacitors inside PSU by flipping the switch? (After shutdown)
Should I just leave it on or flip the switch?

PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold GX-650
Surge protector - Brennenstuhl secure-tec 19.500a

Solution
I've heard that's an overkill to flip the physical switch on PSU. But I live in storm prone area, so I'm concerned about lightning strikes.

No - if the machine is fully shut down flipping the switch on the PSU shouldn't have any negative impacts I'm aware of (other than potentially wearing out the switch itself). That said, I'm not sure how much protection flipping the switch on the PSU would give you in the event of a lightning trike as the power surge would still make it to the unit itself (and the...

No - if the machine is fully shut down flipping the switch on the PSU shouldn't have any negative impacts I'm aware of (other than potentially wearing out the switch itself). That said, I'm not sure how much protection flipping the switch on the PSU would give you in the event of a lightning trike as the power surge would still make it to the unit itself (and the small switch on the PSU may not offer enough isolation for a surge that large).

The surge protector will obviously help - if anything I would turn the power off at the wall socket the surge protector is plugged into, rather than worry about the switch on the PSU itself.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
There are multiple wired pathways into your PC. Not just the power cord.

Killed, from a recent nearby lightning strike:
  1. Ethernet port on the main PC motherboard
  2. Ethernet port on a printer
  3. 2x HDMI ports on the Denon AV receiver
  4. An UNPLUGGED Invisible Fence circuit board. Blew the cover half way across the garage.
  5. Most curious...a battery powered laser level turned ON

The ethernet ports on the printer and PC were separated by 2 switches and a router. All of those devices survived just fine.

Jul 30, 2020
No - if the machine is fully shut down flipping the switch on the PSU shouldn't have any negative impacts I'm aware of (other than potentially wearing out the switch itself). That said, I'm not sure how much protection flipping the switch on the PSU would give you in the event of a lightning trike as the power surge would still make it to the unit itself (and the small switch on the PSU may not offer enough isolation for a surge that large).

The surge protector will obviously help - if anything I would turn the power off at the wall socket the surge protector is plugged into, rather than worry about the switch on the PSU itself.
So it's fine to shutdown - flip the switch - and then unplug power cord?

There are multiple wired pathways into your PC. Not just the power cord.

Killed, from a recent nearby lightning strike:
  1. Ethernet port on the main PC motherboard
  2. Ethernet port on a printer
  3. 2x HDMI ports on the Denon AV receiver
  4. An UNPLUGGED Invisible Fence circuit board. Blew the cover half way across the garage.
  5. Most curious...a battery powered laser level turned ON
The ethernet ports on the printer and PC were separated by 2 switches and a router. All of those devices survived just fine.

Ouch!

So it's fine to shutdown - flip the switch - and then unplug power cord?

As I say, won't harm the machine, from the above probably pull the Ethernet cable as well!

Reactions: pastel_x

USAFRet

Titan
Ouch!

As I say, won't harm the machine, from the above probably pull the Ethernet cable as well!
And monitor, and router, and TV, and and and.....

In addition, everyone says "unplug if there is lightning in the area!"
Well...for every rain storm, there is a 'first strike'.
This was that. Previous, for an hour or two, it was simply raining...then, BAM.

If I unplugged everything every time it rained...that is all I would be doing.

Reactions: CorpRebel and cdrkf

TRENDING THREADS