Question Is It Impossible to Get DDR3L-1600 SODIMMs Larger Than 8GB ?

Apr 21, 2021
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade the 8GB DDR3L-1600 SODIMM with a larger module. Unfortunately, my laptop - a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460 - only has one RAM slot and I can't find anywhere legit looking that sells single modules > 8GB. Is there some kind of hard limit on DDR3L SODIMMs at 8GB ? The only websites that claim to sell larger single modules look shady and are asking for > £200 GBP. I'd like to upgrade to 16GB if I can, however, I want to make sure what I purchase will be compatible and not degrade performance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Likely so, I would think the only larger chips would have made it into server memory. Shouldn't stop someone from slapping them on some SO-DIMMs.

I have doubts your system would recognize a 16GB stick.

Apr 21, 2021
Likely so, I would think the only larger chips would have made it into server memory. Shouldn't stop someone from slapping them on some SO-DIMMs.

I have doubts your system would recognize a 16GB stick.
The user manual says up to 8GB, but with BIOS / UEFI updates the RAM limit can increase. I wonder has anyone out there successfully upgraded their Yoga 460 to, say, 16GB ?

Apr 21, 2021
Thanks. Now to decide whether to open it up now just to be totally sure, or just buy the RAM cos I'm too lazy.

Appreciate your help.

Apr 21, 2021
Measure twice, cut once--aka, open it up and make sure before you spend your money. Just be sure to follow the instructions in the manual.
Thanks. I've taken a different approach. I've searched both images and videos of my motherboard. It's definitely only got 1 SODIMM slot and I can see people saying that it is occupied by the manufacturer installed memory module. I want to minimise the number of times I have to open my laptop as I need it for work and I'm Mr Cautious McBoring and don't want to damage it. So I've ordered a refurbished £107 GBP 16GB refurbished module from eBay.

Thanks again everyone - this turns out to be a very helpful forum.

Apr 21, 2021
Just swapped the 8GB module out with a 16GB. There is indeed only 1 RAM slot and it had the 8GB module in it. 'New' 16GB module is tested and working fine.

Thanks all, especially @SkyNetRising , for helping (y)

Reactions: SamirD

ASK THE COMMUNITY