Is it me, or Win8.1 uses less resources than 7 and 10?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I'm currently with several programs and windows open, and yet my RAM usage is lower than it would be on Win7 and 10 at this point.

The games if anything run as fast as in Windows 7 and 10 and 8.1 seems to really be using less RAM. Is it just me, or do you experience the same?

Solution
Windows keeps improving the memory manager.

The idea is to keep as much needed data in active system memory while also keeping enough free so you can load a new program, like a game, without being forced to unload data.

*So using LESS memory isn't necessarily better.

In my experience, and from my reading, memory management seems to get better with every version though again it's hard to compare directly simply based on memory usage.

The actual GAME usage will be identical (game itself, not total), so unless you are running out of memory (it will warn you) there is nothing to worry about. In general 8GB is plenty unless you have a web browser open using a lot of memory as well as running a demanding game or some similar issue...
Windows keeps improving the memory manager.

The idea is to keep as much needed data in active system memory while also keeping enough free so you can load a new program, like a game, without being forced to unload data.

*So using LESS memory isn't necessarily better.

In my experience, and from my reading, memory management seems to get better with every version though again it's hard to compare directly simply based on memory usage.

The actual GAME usage will be identical (game itself, not total), so unless you are running out of memory (it will warn you) there is nothing to worry about. In general 8GB is plenty unless you have a web browser open using a lot of memory as well as running a demanding game or some similar issue (Windows may still swap the browser data to the system drive).

Windows can generally use LESS than 1GB of system memory if it needs to (besides the game), so even if you used 6GB out of 8GB when starting a game it can probably free up 5GB or so if it needed to.

*Windows will also look at the total amount when deciding what to buffer. My dad's laptop now has Windows 10, but because he only has 2GB it uses 1GB only after startup.

Solution
Hi,
First, Windows 8.1 will take up less resources than Windows 7 and it is faster.
Second windows 10 will take up even less resources than Windows 8.1 -> less space on the hard drive and a little bit less of the RAM.

Now, Windows 10 anniversary update Build 1607 is not quiet compatible with some s/w - yet.
It will hamper some, but others it will defiantly gain all the rest.

Server version of the latest Windows 10 is not available..
Are you talking about professional or Enterprise?
Best regards from Sweden

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Windows 8.1 Pro

Regards from Brazil

Hi,
I can say for certain on my rig that Windows 10 works really well.

Motherboard: Asus Z97 Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @4.5GHz
Memory: 16GB 2133MHz Cl11 G-Skill
Monitor: 2x BenQ 24"1920x1080
Graphic: ASUS Radeon R9 290 4GB
C: SSD: Intel 520 180GB for Windows and some essential s/w
D: SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB for all other s/w including games etc.
H: HDD: WD Velociraptor 10 000rpm 450GB
F: HDD: WD Black Caviar 2TB
E: HDD Samsung 1TB for other things
G: HDD: Seagate 3TB

And in every game that I have - no matter what, Windows 10 was actually the best I tried so far.
The games?

Crysis 3 - the most extreme of them all, no matter what.
BF3 and 4
BF Hardline
COD Black Ops III
COD Ghosts
Far Cry 4 - Very good.
Far Cry primal - Extremely good!

Best regards from Sweden