Question Is it more worth buying Ryzen 7000 non-X edition over 7000X?

bmb96

Prominent
Sep 23, 2021
Im about to build a new pc with ddr5 and wanted to know if its more worth going for non-X edition instead of X.
Alternatively, is Intel better than any of the Ryzens mentioned above?

If you are concerned about power consumption, heat, noise , and cost then the non X are the way to go. Alternatively you can enable Eco mode on the X processors to limit the power budget to the same as the non X. The performance Delta between the X and non X in default configuration is minimal.

As for whether or not AMD or Intel I would suggest not asking here but going on out and watching some reviews of the various processors in question (Highly, highly recommend Gamers Nexus for this) as you are only going to get a fanboy flamewar here and the post will likely get locked.

Im about to build a new pc with ddr5 and wanted to know if its more worth going for non-X edition instead of X.
Alternatively, is Intel better than any of the Ryzens mentioned above?
The non X cpu's look to be the better deal. As far as AMD vs Intel .. that one is debatable. Intel has the better gaming benchmarks atm if gaming is your thing otherwise flip a coin.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
I'm a big AMD fan, really enjoyed being able to upgrade CPU's on AM4 from 1600x-3700x-5700x on the same platform. AM5 should allow you to do the same, incremental upgrades over the next 3-4 years. Intel is at the end of their support this time around. AM5 should have more longevity by a wide margin.

In terms of X or non X. Up to you, no real significant gains unless you like playing around tweaking PC's

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If primarily gaming: wait for the X3D chips to hit the market.
If you want maximum clock speeds for some task, get the X CPUs.
If you want a consistent platform that doesn't require the fastest speeds, get the non-X.

I would say go Intel if you want a mix between gaming and multi-threaded workloads. An i7-13700k has great gaming performance and okay multi-threading with its 8 E cores.

Not sure I can justify the 13900k for any use case over a 7950X/7900X/7900, but the 13700K fills a nice gap between the 7900X and and the 7800X for multithreaded loads.

bmb96

Prominent
Sep 23, 2021
If you are concerned about power consumption, heat, noise , and cost then the non X are the way to go. Alternatively you can enable Eco mode on the X processors to limit the power budget to the same as the non X. The performance Delta between the X and non X in default configuration is minimal.

As for whether or not AMD or Intel I would suggest not asking here but going on out and watching some reviews of the various processors in question (Highly, highly recommend Gamers Nexus for this) as you are only going to get a fanboy flamewar here and the post will likely get locked.
Totally understand that, the thing i want isnt necessarily an objective view on intel vs amd. I just wanna know my options since im kinda out of my depth here. Ill take a look on youtube. Thanks a bunch!

Totally understand that, the thing i want isnt necessarily an objective view on intel vs amd. I just wanna know my options since im kinda out of my depth here. Ill take a look on youtube. Thanks a bunch!

No worries. People are pretty passionate about their favourite brands, not just on here but everywhere so it's difficult to get objective information. It's compounded by the fact that some people , even if fairly objective, value different things in a processor such as power efficiency over outright performance. I find GN and some other channels although not entirely objective at least give you the measured as run numbers to help you decide for yourself.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Intel seems to be more powerful for the price, but runs hotter too. Gaming performance seems to be similar but you can find videos online with tests and comparisons. Intel has more cores so seems to be faster for things like video rendering.
Pricing on the Ryzen chips seems to be craziness- the 7700 is only a few dollars cheaper than 7700X but does include a cooler, but some retailers will sell you a 7700X and throw in 32GB of RAM for free which makes that by far the better deal.

For most situations, including gaming, I would definitely recommend a non-X Ryzen 7000 CPU over an X. The non-X parts are only slightly slower than their X counterparts, are less expensive and come with a usable cooler.

As for Intel, I wouldn't bother because your next upgrade will need a new motherboard while AM5 (like AM4) will be good for a long time. Your next AM5 upgrade will be to simply drop a new CPU onto the motherboard you already own. You can't really do better than that.

If I were in your shoes, I'd take a Ryzen 7000 non-X without a second thought.

Reactions: GarrettL