[SOLVED] Is it my cooling? i7 6700k overheating

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hi all, recently i got a second hand gaming desktop with a gtx 980ti, i7 6700k and a corsair h110i gtx as the cooler. Everything was working well for a few months until yesterday. I restarted the my pc and it hanged at the logo screen upon rebooting. After a forced shutdown, everything went to hell. My cooler fan speed was spinning like crazy despite the temps showing 40C for the cpu. After changing some bios settings, the fan went back to normal for a while. However now, the temps go up to 100C during gaming and it's not even full load. It's running at stock 4ghz and everything seems to be normal. The vcore is 1.216V Max and i even undervolt the system by a -0.1V. I didnt overclock anything. I've tried loading up the default bios settings and it's the same. I dont think there's anything wrong with the voltage anymore. I was able to play AC Odyssey which is a demanding game at 80C max before the restart. The desktop was used for 2 years before i bought it.

Solution
all you said seems like ded pump. water still have some thermal cap so idling survived by share existence of water in loop.
try to boot it and listen. pumps makes noise try to hear it. I suspect silence

poorbugger

Distinguished
well it seems to be the pump however i fixed it by slapping the <Mod Edit> out of the top of my case lol... After i slapped it, temps instantly went down and everything is fine again. Gaming is only 70C max under full load even better than before. Thanks for the help guys

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsoner13

Respectable
I'm not sure, i think there's air trapped inside it before because i could hear some crackling noise from it but now it's gone. How long does a sealed water cooler last? Does the coolant in it evaporate?
Not very knowledgeable with water cooling so don’t quote me on this but I believe they usually last a few years which is obviously dependent on the quality of the product, usage, etc. I don’t think the coolant usually evaporates as it’s airtight and meant to prevent this but I could be completely wrong here haha

I'm not sure, i think there's air trapped inside it before because i could hear some crackling noise from it but now it's gone. How long does a sealed water cooler last? Does the coolant in it evaporate?
Coolant can evaporate but it stays within closed loop, so it lives as long as pump is ok OR a leak happen.
Check your loop power cable.
After what you said I think pump is not connected or very flimsy connected to power.

https://www.techpowerup.com/img/16-06-03/60a.jpg
that little flimsy cable you have here, push it down to the board again.

TRENDING THREADS