Question Is it my CPU or Motherboard?

maruf01

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2015
For the last few months my PC was crashing with blue screen during intense work. Mostly it happened when playing Forza Horizon 4. It's an old PC from 2013 so I knew its time was coming. When I turn it off & on again, it worked nicely. I even rendered some long videos in premiere pro that took about 2 hours. With CPUz the temps never exceeded 767 deg C with all cores working at full capacity. No problems. Only once I tried to cancel the render minutes in and the PC had the same hang again. Later, I did it and it completed fine. Temps looked good but I cant tell if it was throttling. Today it died when playing Halo3 Master Chief Collection, a simple game!
Now, its not even showing anything on screen. I've removed all unnecesary cables and GPU and trying on board display out but still no signal coming to monitor.

My CPU: 4th gen Intel i7 4770 (non K)
Motherboard: Asrock Z87 Pro3

What I want to know first, is it my motherboard or CPU that died?

maruf01

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2015
It's not over. The problem came back. Sometimes on restart, I get display. But other times, I don't. But windows boots. I have to shut down. Take off my GPU. Put it back in and only then I get screen output. Is it GPU issue then?