Question Is it my GPU or my motherboard which died? How to separate the issue?

Oct 18, 2019
Good day all,

yesterday evening during some CAD work, my PC crashed and left me we a red'ish left and a black right screen. Powering on again worked after a couplel of tries, but tomorrow my PC won't post at all, can't even get into bios.

Naturally I thought it might be my GPU that got fried (it's a custom build PC and ran smoothly for over 6 years), but then I tried some things and I'm not so sure anymore.

After reading here on the forum, I've tried a couple of things:
1.) CMOS reset (cut power completely, removed GPU and RAM and removed the battery for 5 minutes while keeping the power button pressed for half a minute or so) --> no changes, still back screen (btw I got 2 screens, no post on both of them)
2.) I've tried removing hardware components bit by bit to see if there's another faulty part, but no changes
3.) I pluged my display cable into the video port of my motherboard to see if I get a post/bios access by directly plugging into it, but still nothing.

And that's what left me confused and not so sure about if it's not the mobo and not the GPU? Unfortunately I don't have a second GPU to test nor a second computer to exchange the GPU - so that's that for now. Almost purchased a new GPU already, but need to be sure first that it's really the GPU.

€dit: btw there are no beeps at all, no matter what I remove from my mobo, not even if all RAM is removed. Are there even silent motherboards? Or is this an indicator for a dead motherboard already?

PC specs:
Intel Xeon Prozessor E3-1231 v3 (3,40 GHz)
ASRock H97 Pro4
AMD Radeon R9 280
be quiet! Straight Power E9 450W

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019
Do you have another PSU to test?
Unfortunately no...how probable is it that it's the PSU?
Most motherboards have an led on them to show its getting power, do you see any ?
No lad, at least I can't see anything flashing while powering on. Another interesting observation I just made: when I boot the PC with just one RAM bar inserted instead of both, the PC seems to auto reboot every 30 seconds or so. It didn't do that with both inserted nor with none.
Also I'm sure your CPU doesn't have an onboard GPU so you wont get any signal from the motherboards video sockets
Oh, that's great advice already...so one thing I can rule out!

Oct 18, 2019
Oh, MAJOR update! Out of desparation I just switched both my RAM bars from the black to the blue RAM slots and all of a sudden the PC BOOTED as if nothing has happend...what's going on here? Any clues? Is it the slots that's non-functional from out of nowhere? Is this even possible?

€dit: back to same...PC crashed again and won't post. So re-orderning the RAM wasn't the solution.

Last edited: