Question is it my io shield or motherboard that isn’t installed properly… there’s a gap visible

It certainly looks off, the plate should be snapped into the case, then the motherboard I/O pressed against it.
How does the motherboard look inside the case, everything lined up?
The I/O is not vitally important if its off, id be more worried if the whole motherboard was crooked, as it would cause issues with the GPU mounting.

m97.kev

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
how do i check if the motherboard is lined up ?

the gpu is the reason i’m asking yeah. cant tell if i’m not giving enough force or if the poor alignment that doesn’t let the gpu in

You can see where the motherboard compares to the edge of the case, a gap at the bottom left but no gap top left, etc.
You can also take a look at the standoffs in the case, make sure they are all tight and correctly placed, then make sure the motherboard is lined up with them right.

m97.kev

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
You can see where the motherboard compares to the edge of the case, a gap at the bottom left but no gap top left, etc.
You can also take a look at the standoffs in the case, make sure they are all tight and correctly placed, then make sure the motherboard is lined up with them right.

i unscrewed the board and can only get it flush through the io shield with no gap on the bottom when i pull it to the left enough that the holes don’t align with the motherboard and case. then the holes are off slightly to the right

I don't think you've seated the i/o shield correctly. It appears there is a slot in the case meant for the shield to sit inbetween of, but your shield is on the interior side of that gap. Maybe if you push harder on the inside of the shield, it might pop into that groove, or you may need to slightly flex it. If it proves difficult to get at, maybe remove the motherboard first.