Is it my ISP or my modem router

Evans1234

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
hi,

My dad currently uses BT as our Internet Service Provider (I'm 17). Currently I have found that our internet is slow especially when my little brother is on the Xbox 360 constantly when he gets home from school. We use a Netgear DGND3000 modem router.

refer for details: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/DGND3300.aspx

most of our computers, xbox's and ipods are connected via the wifi.

I decided to have a look on the netgear smart wizard to find this:

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version A2pB023k.d20k_rc2
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 5055 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 446 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

I dont think that looks very good. But I'm not sure whether its the modem router we are using or the ISP because my Dad has the business deal with BT as sometimes he works at home so his work pays for the Broadband, we dont even see the bill and he is not sure what deal we are receiving.

If it is the modem router, could anyone recommend a good modem to get. I have had a look and the only one that looked good and had good reviews was the TP-Link TD-8817. Any others???

could anyone help me with this problem,

thanks

it is most likely the Xbox that it using most of the bandwidth if you brother is doing online gaming.

not sure if the router supports QoS which you might be able to use to prioritize the bandwidth.

Evans1234

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
yer he tends to play online and talk to his friends.
yes the router does support QoS but what does it exactly do??

Evans1234

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
can i plug a modem into a modem router to see if it is the modem router??? i was gonna buy a £10 adsl2+ tp-link modem

Sinistercr0c

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Your Broadband download speed is approx. 5Mbps as quoted by the netgear wizard (and backed up by your speedtest results).

Your hardware is not the issue therefore buying new kit won't improve your internet performance.

Your only real option in my opinion is to persuade your dad to buy a decent BT broadband package for home use or try to get his business line upgrade to 10Mbps or above.

Your Netgear modem/router supports Wireless Multimedia (WMM) based QoS, however this requires that the end device wifi adaptor also supports WMM QoS, then you'd have to configure it (which is a black art to me).

In reality even if you could prioritise your traffic over others within your household, your still left with a pretty lowly WAN speed of 5mbps.

I'd start twisting your dads arm for your own home broadband.

Good luck.