[SOLVED] Is it my MB, CPU? I think I've tried all

Aug 20, 2019
Hi, one day everything was as usual when my PC suddenly shut down. Okay, weird stuff, turned it back on and after a couple of minutes happened the same thing. Then I turned it back on, ran a CPU heavy stress test to check the CPU temp, everything was fine <58C. I have OC GPU (nothing big), CPU have stock options. After 12 mins on stress test PC shut down again. Then when I tried to power it on, it only powered up for a very short period of time, to light up LEDs inside the case and start to spin fans and shut off. This status remained despite everything i tired. Then decided to get new MB with same 1155 socket the next day.

I tried removing components, like w/o GPU, SSD, HDD. Nothing changed.
Then I removed RAM, same results with MB with CPU only.
I tried another brand new PSU, nothing changed.

Yesterday I got my hands on old gigabyte MB, swapped my CPU to other MB and result was the same - powers up and shuts down instantly (the old MB was in working condition). Then dunno why, decided to swap back CPU to my original MB, and figured trick, to swap CPU fan with system fan while breadboarding. This time PC powered up but no display. I reinstalled my PC parts, with different combinations, tried to connect via VGA cable from iGPU, and HDMI from GPU - nothing. Just plain black screen waiting to wake up.
I've tried everything i could found. Reset CMOS via jumper, tried removing battery, tried single RAM, run with/wo GPU.
Even tested RAM on another PC at work where it worked, so I can say that RAM and PSU are both fine.

So now everything is spinning, but no display is found.

Soooo, this leaves to doubt that CPU is dead, thus it didnt overheat?

And 2nd MB i tried moving my CPU to is Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2V-B3, but it just reproduced the short turn of effect. The guy asked me, if I know how to install BIOS on this MB, but I saw it working couple of hours before.

My rig:
  • Asrock, B75M-GL
  • Intel, Core i5-3470 (3.2GHz, 6MB Cache, LGA1155)
  • Kingston, 8GB, DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, Kit Of 2, HyperX Blu
  • Inno3D GeForce RTX 2060 Twin X2 6GB GDDR6 PCIE N20602-06D6-1710VA23
  • Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SATAIII MZ-76E1T0B/EU
  • Seagate, 1TB, 7200rpm, 64MB, Sata III, Barracuda
  • Xilence 730W, Performance A+, 80+ Bronze
I dont have the case speaker to hear the beep. Thinking about buying one today.
I cant even reach the BIOS screen on my monitor right now. But PC turns on and does not shut down itself.
And sad, but irrelevant fact I think. Day prior to my problems, I added Steelseries Rival710 mouse to enjoy it for one evening :(

Looking forward to you guys, brightening up the day for loyal PC master race dude. :(

Last edited:
Solution
Found a solution for 2nd motherboard. Proved that CPU is in good condition.
The Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2V-B3 MB needed to install different version of BIOS to support 3rd gen i5 3470 processor. That's why it ran in the loop of endless restarts with no signal.

I believe my Asrock, B75M-GL motherboard is bricked.
Case solved.

ryzengamer

Great
Mar 19, 2019
Maybe you broke your CPU with ESD or bent pins when swapping the motherboard. Maybe you had a failing PSU originally. It is a time to build more modern computer with 2x8 DDR4 3000Mhz memory. RAM is cheap now.

Aug 20, 2019
Maybe you broke your CPU with ESD or bent pins when swapping the motherboard. Maybe you had a failing PSU originally. It is a time to build more modern computer with 2x8 DDR4 3000Mhz memory. RAM is cheap now.
I'm sure that the pins are fine, I was super careful performing the CPU transfers.
PSU is new, because week before my old PSU died (after 7 great years). Might the death of previous PSU be a source of the problem?
So far I had pretty solid setup to run everything i needed, and I was planing MB+RAM+CPU upgrade in closer future (1-2years), because current setup didnt cause any drawbacks and everything ran fast and smooth af.

How could I identify that the cause is DEAD CPU if I dont find system/case speaker in local PC part store?

Aug 20, 2019
Found a solution for 2nd motherboard. Proved that CPU is in good condition.
The Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2V-B3 MB needed to install different version of BIOS to support 3rd gen i5 3470 processor. That's why it ran in the loop of endless restarts with no signal.

I believe my Asrock, B75M-GL motherboard is bricked.
Case solved.

Solution