Question Is it my modem or my computer?

DarthGizmo

Distinguished
May 19, 2016
Every time I boot my computer it takes a longer and longer time to connect to my internet provider. It started out as taking about 5 minutes, then it took 7, and now I have to reboot the computer and modem to get it to connect at all.

Also, my speed is often slow and I have to reboot and the computer and modem to increase the speed.

This problem is getting worse every week, and I have no idea if it is the modem or the computer that is the problem.

I have a Speedstream modem with a DSL line and a Dell Inspiron, can give you more specifics if you need it.

What do you suggest? Is this a problem with memory? Why does rebooting help?

Thank you for the help.

DarthGizmo

Distinguished
May 19, 2016
Are you sure its malware and not a hardware problem?

I ran a malware scan and quarantined one file called CNET_T3Patch.exe but don't think that was the problem.

Specs:

Dell Inspiron 620
6 GB Ram
64 bit operating system
Intel R Core TM i5-2320 CPU@ 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium

Modem is Speedstream 5360 ADSL Ethernet Modem

DarthGizmo

Distinguished
May 19, 2016
old system?
check hdd health? defrag the drive?
could be windows 7 checking for update.

Sorry it took me a long time to respond.

It is a pretty old system, the problem is getting worse all the time, every week it is taking longer and longer for it to connect.

I'm just wondering why rebooting helps, how do I really diagnose this problem and figure out what is causing it?

I did a virus scan and the internet speed increased a little, have ordered a new modem as well.

We have windows updates off.

Is it dangerous to defrag a drive? Maybe I'll do that next.