Question Is It My Monitor or Something Else?

Jul 20, 2019
I looked through the forums and I didn't see where anyone has had this issue. This is my first time posting, I usually find my answers just by lurking.

This just started a few days ago. When I turn my PC on, the monitor button turns blue, indicating that it is on and receiving signal from the PC. However, the screen remains black. I used to have an issue with my PC locking up when it went to sleep so I turned Sleep off. I thought maybe that was causing the glitch so I hit the restart button on my case.
For the last 2 days, that has solved the problem and monitor displays Windows loading up just fine.
Today however, I had to hit restart twice and on the 3rd time, it finally showed the screen but said Windows didn't start properly. So I hit restart and all is well.
Now, this IS an old monitor and it's left powered on all the time. But the rest of my PC is fairly new.
I don't have any other issues with display. Colors are fine, videos play fine and I'm a gamer, all of my games are the same. No issues.

Here are my specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 4 Raven Ridge 14nm
RAM: 8GB
GPU: 4096MB ATI Radeon RX 460 (XFX Pine Group)
Seagate ST1000DM10-2EP102 1TB SATA drive

I have recently updated all drivers.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Possibly could be monitor or video cable making the pc appear stuck/frozen but actually not? Regarding the windows incorrect startup issue, wouldn't that be properly shut down message after forcing the pc to restart?

Sleep could be another issue but to rule out display, if possible, try a hdmi tv or different cable.

Jul 20, 2019
Possibly could be monitor or video cable making the pc appear stuck/frozen but actually not? Regarding the windows incorrect startup issue, wouldn't that be properly shut down message after forcing the pc to restart?

Sleep could be another issue but to rule out display, if possible, try a hdmi tv or different cable.
Yes, I got that message after the second time of forcing the PC to restart via the case. (restart button not power button)
The monitor then properly displayed and told me to click restart on the screen, so I did.
The GPU only has HDMI and DVI. And my HDMI cable is like 6"... lol
So I'll have to see about either an adapter to go VGA (which I was before on a previous GPU) or get a longer HDMI

Jul 20, 2019
6 inches?

If that is 6 inches, that doesn't sound right, I've never seen a hdmi cable that short before lol, sounds like a backyard job although backyard jobs aren't always bad, still id try another hdmi cable.
It came with my last GPU I bought. I think it was meant for Laptops? But yeah, I swear it's a short little thing. lol

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How does it even reach to the monitor?

10 bucks or there abouts get a 2~3m cable. The length hopefully wont put stress on the connection. Another possibility the cable being too short, the ends could pull out slightly with movement. Doesn't take much for hdmi ends to dislodge, they don't have locking pins like displayport.

Last edited: