Question System crashes -- Is it my motherboard?

aragorn1062

Commendable
Dec 12, 2017
ASRock Vega 56 Phantom Gaming X
Ryzen 5 1600x 3.60GHz w/ Cryorig H7 cooler
MSI B350 Tomahawk
2x8gb Ripjaws V 3200MHz
Kingston 1TB A2000 M.2 NVMe SSD & 600GB HDD
Seasonic FOCUS PLUS GOLD 650W
AOC 24G2 144hz (main monitor) & Lenovo Thinkvision X24

I managed to get my friend to test my components in his system and vice versa... Recently I found out a way to reproduce the crash in my system (running memtest in OCCT that tests GPU memory)... I don't know his specs exactly, but he has a 700w 80+bronze PSU, fx 8350

Vega56 + my PSU in my system on either PCI-e lanes = crash

Vega56 + his PSU in my system on either PCI-e lanes = crash

Vega56 + my PSU in his system = no crash

Vega56 + his PSU in his system = no crash

Underclocking, overclocking, undervolting, playing around with power limit has no effect on either of the systems, on mine it still crashes, on his it still works normally on every setting

I did enough testing to know it's not the drivers, GPU, RAM and this mixed components test likely excludes the PSU, too, so it's probably the motherboard? I guess the only way is to order a new mobo and test it with my components and if it works I can refund it and claim warranty on my own mobo(I bought it 1.5yrs ago so probably still have the warranty on it).

Please do let me know if there's something else I may have missed, but I think I pretty much did all I could to identify the problem.

Edit : could it even be CPU? I see ryzen on b350 chipset communicates directly to PCI-e slot?

Last edited:

aragorn1062

Commendable
Dec 12, 2017
I'm now trying my friends' r9 380 2gb card in my system and no noticable issues thus far... i'm kinda clueless considering my gpu doesn't work well in my system but works just fine in my friends'

TRENDING THREADS