[SOLVED] Is it my old psu that's causing random restarts?

Mar 13, 2020
Hi everyone.

System specs:

MSI z390 A-pro,
i5-9400f (new)
gtx 1050
500gb samsung 860evo ,
1tb hdd
16gb of corsair 3000mgz
Thermaltake 600w toughpower (12 yrs old)

I've been having random restarts 1-3 times a day and a BSOD and unfortunately the tech I bought the mobo,cpu,ram from is closed so there is no way of having it looked into properly. So I'll ask: If it's the psu causing the restarts, could it potentially damage the rest of the components in like the next month before I can have it looked into?

My old X48 board started malfunctioing a year and a half ago, first the sound card died and then it wouldn't recognise the usb wifi antenna thingy. There isn't much I can do, but if that is the case, maybe I can take it easy on the machine for the time being?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Considering the age of your PSU, it could very likely be the cause of the BSODs. The symptoms you desribe are fairly common in that scenario.
But the information about the state of the motherboard could also cause a lot of issues.

Personally, even if I didn't know for sure, but only suspected a PSU being close to failure, it would make me either replace the unit immediately, and if that is not an option, avoid powering on the computer with that PSU, until I get a replacement.

No one can promise you, that even if you are extra careful, that the PSU won't fail for just a little while.

Anytime a system is powered on with a suspected failing PSU, is an oppotunity for catastrophic failure.

If you decide to try and keep it running until...
Considering the age of your PSU, it could very likely be the cause of the BSODs. The symptoms you desribe are fairly common in that scenario.
But the information about the state of the motherboard could also cause a lot of issues.

Personally, even if I didn't know for sure, but only suspected a PSU being close to failure, it would make me either replace the unit immediately, and if that is not an option, avoid powering on the computer with that PSU, until I get a replacement.

No one can promise you, that even if you are extra careful, that the PSU won't fail for just a little while.

Anytime a system is powered on with a suspected failing PSU, is an oppotunity for catastrophic failure.

If you decide to try and keep it running until you can replace the unit, you have to make sure you can afford new components to build a working PC, since it is a real possibilty, that other compnents will suffer damage as a result of the eventual failure.

You can keep using the system, it is your choice, but do consider one extra time in advance, if the risk is worth it

As a sidenote, I would recommend you make sure all improtant data is safely backup up, in case of the worst possible outcome

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution

Eugene$$

Reputable
Dec 15, 2019
Mar 13, 2020
Hey there.I bought my cpu,mobo,ram like 3 weeks ago so that's not the problem. It seems to have calmed down now and I contacted my tech so if anything comes up he'll take care of it.Thanks for the reply.