[SOLVED] Is it my psu or gpu?(Coil Whine)

Nov 16, 2020
So build my first pc yesterday and downloaded some games.Everything was fine. So i go to fortnite to see performance of my new rig and I started to see buzzing noise coming from gpu.But my noise seemed like sttutering.In LoL I am not hearing a thing. I saw that sometimes cause of gpu coil whine is acttualy bad psu.

And my question is is Be quiet System power 9 400W bad and could cause coil whine or Is it just GPU bc I am not able to return my psu but I can maybe get a replacment for gpu.Also in menu in fortnite I put cap on fps and it lowerd nosie but in game it seems differnt(maybe I am wrong idk).

Pc:

Ryzen 3 3100 stock cooler

Corsair vengance Lpx 2×8GB 3200Hz

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX

CRUCIAL BX500 250GB

MSI VENTUS 1660 SUPER.

Solution
The System power 9 isnt the best but for a lower end system its fine. I would personally get something better but you should be fine with it. Here is ratings list of PSUs https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/

As far as coil whine its hard to say, it could just be your card or it could be the combo of card and gpu. Coil whine typically only happens in GPU intensive games so LoL which can run on a potato wont tax the GPU enough. Again personally I would get a better PSU, mainly because while the 1660 Super isnt a heavy wattage card if you ever upgrade your CPU to something like a 3600 or 3700 400 watts is alittle low. Anymore I would suggest a minimum of 650 watts since GPUs keep drawing...
The System power 9 isnt the best but for a lower end system its fine. I would personally get something better but you should be fine with it. Here is ratings list of PSUs https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/

As far as coil whine its hard to say, it could just be your card or it could be the combo of card and gpu. Coil whine typically only happens in GPU intensive games so LoL which can run on a potato wont tax the GPU enough. Again personally I would get a better PSU, mainly because while the 1660 Super isnt a heavy wattage card if you ever upgrade your CPU to something like a 3600 or 3700 400 watts is alittle low. Anymore I would suggest a minimum of 650 watts since GPUs keep drawing more and more power these days.

Solution
So build my first pc yesterday and downloaded some games.Everything was fine. So i go to fortnite to see performance of my new rig and I started to see buzzing noise coming from gpu.But my noise seemed like sttutering.In LoL I am not hearing a thing. I saw that sometimes cause of gpu coil whine is acttualy bad psu.

And my question is is Be quiet System power 9 400W bad and could cause coil whine or Is it just GPU bc I am not able to return my psu but I can maybe get a replacment for gpu.Also in menu in fortnite I put cap on fps and it lowerd nosie but in game it seems differnt(maybe I am wrong idk).

Pc:

Ryzen 3 3100 stock cooler

Corsair vengance Lpx 2×8GB 3200Hz

MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX

CRUCIAL BX500 250GB

MSI VENTUS 1660 SUPER.
Hard to say if it's the PSU, GPU or both together causing it. You could try a hobo stethoscope, (the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels) to try and listen closely to see where it's coming from.

I am sure that it isgpu but idk if it is coil whine or something else.
Unless the fan(s) are hitting the shroud I don't see what else it could be besides coil whine. A search with your GPU and the words 'coil whine' added did return results so it's not just you. It usually means nothing and is just annoying. If it's bad enough to bother you RMA it. You could get lucky on the next one.

Nov 16, 2020

As far as coil whine its hard to say, it could just be your card or it could be the combo of card and gpu. Coil whine typically only happens in GPU intensive games so LoL which can run on a potato wont tax the GPU enough. Again personally I would get a better PSU, mainly because while the 1660 Super isnt a heavy wattage card if you ever upgrade your CPU to something like a 3600 or 3700 400 watts is alittle low. Anymore I would suggest a minimum of 650 watts since GPUs keep drawing more and more power these days.

Can you recommend specific psu brand or model for my system and that is not overpriced or overkill for me.

Can you recommend specific psu brand or model for my system and that is not overpriced or overkill for me.

That list is pretty thorough. I would stick to Tier A or B. Prices vary too much and there are always sales so just use something like pcpartspicker to find what and where the cheapest is. The Corsair CX (grey tect not green version)is a pretty solid PSU for midrange systems but IMO spending closer to 100 USD get you a more solid PSU. The Corsair TX or Seasonic FOCUS GX/GM are on sale alot in the 80-100 USD range for the 650 watt versions.

Nov 16, 2020
That list is pretty thorough. I would stick to Tier A or B. Prices vary too much and there are always sales so just use something like pcpartspicker to find what and where the cheapest is. The Corsair CX (grey tect not green version)is a pretty solid PSU for midrange systems but IMO spending closer to 100 USD get you a more solid PSU. The Corsair TX or Seasonic FOCUS GX/GM are on sale alot in the 80-100 USD range for the 650 watt versions.
Also, when i am hearing that buzzing sound sometimes it stutters and then game has a little lag.Lag is long as stutter. Idk if need to be worried about it? I am going to install rocket league and try that game to see how loud will it be.

Nov 16, 2020
Also, when i am hearing that buzzing sound sometimes it stutters and then game has a little lag.Lag is long as stutter. Idk if need to be worried about it? I am going to install rocket league and try that game to see how loud will it be.
What I am saying it ia not countinous just in menu it doesnt sttuter.