Question is it my psu or the ground in my home

M1ndFlayer

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
Recently I've connected 2 different hdd to my pc one at a time. They both got the terrible death click. One is less than a year old. So I bought a new hdd and a surge protector. The new hdd worked fine for about 2 hours. Then I heard the unmistakable click. It only did it once. I shut it down. My psu is maybe 3 years old. Should I buy a new one?

M1ndFlayer

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
I see nothing obvious. The issue could be coincidental.

What is the make model of the HDDs you are using?

That is certainly a questionable PSU, but it shouldn't be killing HDDs. Still, if me, I would dump it ASAP.
They are all seagate. 2 of them are barracuda and one is a pipeline hd.

M1ndFlayer

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
I see nothing obvious. The issue could be coincidental.

What is the make model of the HDDs you are using?

That is certainly a questionable PSU, but it shouldn't be killing HDDs. Still, if me, I would dump it ASAP.
Also, thank you for taking the time to read and respond. I'm frustrated. Hope to resolve this. I miss my games.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

If a power issue, seems like other things would also be damaged (GPU, CPU, memory, motherboard). Are you reusing the same SATA data cables to connect the HDDs to the motherboard, or have your swapped them at some point? Also, have you been using the same SATA ports on the motherboard itself?

Last, are you using any additional power cable adapters/splitters to provide power from the PSU to the HDDs (that did not come with the PSU itself)?