Question Is it my RAM or motherboard? - RAM test results

_Murf_

Commendable
May 8, 2017
I have been getting BSODs with random reasons - nothing consistent. I'm fairly certain it is either the motherboard or the RAM.

My motherboard is a ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+. My RAM is 4 sticks of CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600MHz (PC3 12800) 9-9-9-24.

I ran MemTest86 and here are the results:

- Tested all 4 sticks installed.
= over 10,000 errors. MemTest86 aborted.

- Tested each stick installed separately, one at a time, in slot A2.
= No errors.

- Tested sticks 1 and 3 in slots A2 and B2.
= Test 8 had 1 error and Test 9 had 1 error.

- Tested sticks 2 and 4 in slots A2 and B2.
= No errors.

- Tested sticks 1 and 3 in slots A1 and B1.
= over 10,004 errors. MemTest86 aborted. 26/40 passed 65%.

- Tested sticks 2 and 4 in slots A1 and B1.
= No errors.

I'm thinking it is an issue with the Sticks 1 and 3 when ran together and not the motherboard.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Murf

_Murf_

Commendable
May 8, 2017
I don't OC normally. I have ran it all different ways. Made no difference.
I have the 2 sticks that look good (2 and 4) in slots in A2 and B2 up and running for over 24 hours now without issue.

_Murf_

Commendable
May 8, 2017
Well I just got home from work and see that it is at a BSOD screen. So I am taking the 2 good sticks and putting them in slots A1 and B1 to see how that goes.
:unsure:

_Murf_

Commendable
May 8, 2017
UPDATE:
I returned the defective 2 stick RAM set under warranty and received a new set. I put the new set in with the old set (4 sticks, 16GB) and ran memtest86. No errors.
I formatted my HD and did a new install of Windows 10. The random/various BSODs returned. I'm figuring it is the HD. So I borrow a barely used HD. I format it and install Windows 10. At first it appeared good, but the random/various reasons BSODs returned. And it seems like it builds, they become more and more frequent as I try to keep it running.
So is the only thing left that can be the culprit is the motherboard?

No memory is identified by link or part number. In last post, it seems you are using multiple kits of memory. Such configurations have no guarantee to be compatible together.

If you have a question about memory, I suggest you list a link to it and/or a part number.

_Murf_

Commendable
May 8, 2017
No memory is identified by link or part number. In last post, it seems you are using multiple kits of memory. Such configurations have no guarantee to be compatible together.

If you have a question about memory, I suggest you list a link to it and/or a part number.

All 4 sticks of memory are identical and are also listed on the motherboard documentation as compatible. That is why I never thought about mentioning it and did not consider it a factor.
(Not to mention it has work fine for 3 years now)

Corsair Vengence 4GB DDR3 16000MHz (PC3 12800) 9-9-9-24
Part#:CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9

_Murf_

Commendable
May 8, 2017
SOLVED:
The initial problem was caused by a set of RAM that went bad.
The secondary problem of still getting BSODs after replacing the RAM was caused by me after putting in the new RAM, I did not got into BIOS and "Optimized Defaults". I am not sure why I needed to do that being the new RAM was identical to old RAM, but once I did that I have not had a BSOD since. Everything else on my PC is the same equipment I had when the issue started. Go figure.