Is it necessary to buy another CPU cooling fan for i7-8700?

runningw

Reputable
Jul 31, 2018
I heard that i7-8700 comes with a cooling fan. Is the attached fan good enough? Do I need to buy a better one to replace it?

Solution
There have been some reports that stock coolers fall short for adequate cooling when the 8700 is pushed to upper limits. That said, there will be performance increases if you change out the CPU cooler. Your PC Case will dictate which cooler choices you have. Pcpartpicker might be a useful tool to use if your able to find your pc case. If you pick your case, it will only let you pick CPU fans that fit.

no you don't have to, Stock one will keep cpu quite fine. STILL a better cooler will allow that cpu to turbo indefinitely AND keep it quiet. Stock one had problem to keep 100% time turbo without good airflow in case (running around 4.1-4.2) OR was running quite loud.

WKIRBY

Reputable
Oct 21, 2015
There have been some reports that stock coolers fall short for adequate cooling when the 8700 is pushed to upper limits. That said, there will be performance increases if you change out the CPU cooler. Your PC Case will dictate which cooler choices you have. Pcpartpicker might be a useful tool to use if your able to find your pc case. If you pick your case, it will only let you pick CPU fans that fit.

Solution