[SOLVED] Is it necessary to format new external hard disk.. when i have both OS windows and Mac

Nov 16, 2018
Is it necessary to format new external hard disk.. when i have both OS windows and Mac.
and i want to use it on both OS as its my work is to transferring data to others. ?

Solution
Windows 10 uses NTFS as its default filesystem. Mac uses either APFS or HSF+ ( depending on the age of the Mac ). If you intend using the drive with both Windows 10 and OSX then you need to format the drive in a filesystem that is compatible with both. Formatting the drive using macOS's Disk Utility as exFat would make it compatible with both systems ( though with limitations, time machine etc )
Nov 17, 2018
Windows 10 uses NTFS as its default filesystem. Mac uses either APFS or HSF+ ( depending on the age of the Mac ). If you intend using the drive with both Windows 10 and OSX then you need to format the drive in a filesystem that is compatible with both. Formatting the drive using macOS's Disk Utility as exFat would make it compatible with both systems ( though with limitations, time machine etc )

Solution