Question Is it normal for a 5900x to run at max speed in idle 1% load all the time??

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
My AMD Ryzen 9 5900x is always at max clock 4900mhz or close to it, even when I just have chrome open and not even gaming.. at like 1%-3% load. 45 degrees temp to 48 degrees. Is it overclocked or is this how this CPU normally behaves and there's nothing wrong with it? Please let me know. My motherboard is an ASUS X570 E-Gaming. Are the fan speeds also alright or are they going too fast for idle?

View: https://imgur.com/a/rzV1XCk

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Temperatures are in check, so not much to worry about there. Chrome is an application, and you want your applications to run as fast as possible generally. If that is enough to keep the CPU at 4.9Ghz, then that is a good thing.

You can check your performance settings in Windows, set it to power save mode and it would probably be more conservative.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Temperatures are in check, so not much to worry about there. Chrome is an application, and you want your applications to run as fast as possible generally. If that is enough to keep the CPU at 4.9Ghz, then that is a good thing.

You can check your performance settings in Windows, set it to power save mode and it would probably be more conservative.

It's so weird.. I just download AMD Ryzen Master (the official AMD app to overclock it and monitor it etc). The CPU there is idling at A LOT less than what NZXT is telling me xD even the temperatures are a lot lower than what NZXT is showing (39 degrees to 40..) . Also, when I check task manager the CPU is also around 4.8-4.9ghz just like NZXT.. so I don't know which app I can trust.. is the AMD Ryzen Master wrong..? or is NZXT and Windows Task Manager wrong?

Here is a pic of the AMD Ryzen Master app: View: https://imgur.com/a/sr0q88q

In power saving my pc is on Balanced Mode. Just to make sure.. my CPU isn't overclocked right? in the Ryzen Master app I have it on Default settings not Auto OC or Manual overclock. So I guess this is just how the CPU behaves.. always excited and always at like max boost clock haha. Please confirm if it always should be like this. Thanks.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure why your other software is reporting it at maximum speed all the time, might just be a monitoring bug.

Nothing wrong with it if it is, actually surprising, most people don't see the max boost clock under normal operating conditions.

If you put a load on the CPU, Ryzen Master should reflect what is going on more accurately, I imagine. 700Mhz at idle is a lot more reasonable.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
My AMD Ryzen 9 5900x is always at max clock 4900mhz or close to it, even when I just have chrome open and not even gaming.. at like 1%-3% load. 45 degrees temp to 48 degrees. Is it overclocked or is this how this CPU normally behaves and there's nothing wrong with it? Please let me know. My motherboard is an ASUS X570 E-Gaming. Are the fan speeds also alright or are they going too fast for idle?

View: https://imgur.com/a/rzV1XCk
Its normal. You can decrease it.
Remember the power settings that you set to High Performance? You can set it to Balanced or even good, change the power plan settings. Change the minimum Processor State to 0%. Then it will not remain on 4900mhz every second.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Its normal. You can decrease it.
Remember the power settings that you set to High Performance? You can set it to Balanced or even good, change the power plan settings. Change the minimum Processor State to 0%. Then it will not remain on 4900mhz every second.

I didn't set it to High Performance though xD it's on Balanced literally. This is why I'm asking.. is something wrong? haha