Is it normal for a CPU fan to not spin upon booting up the system.

Mika Horward

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017
Quite a simple question, I plugged my CPU fan into CPUFAN1 in my mobo and my case fans into SYSFAN2 on my mobo but neither spin upon booting the system up.

Is this normal or should this not be happening?

MOBO: MSI Bazooka B150M
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro with standard case fans
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

Solution
whats the fan hub plugged into?
Can you connect all the fans to it?
Are the Sysfan headers also 4pin?

It's possible you have a bad fan, it may be replaceable under warranty from noctua, as that's very weird for a high end fan.

dshort01

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Most modern motherboards wont boot up without a CPU fan spinning so I am surprised. I would contact MSI support. This is a low end MB and uses lower end CPU'S. Probably generates less heat. I would expect the case fan to spin regardless.

Mika Horward

Prominent
Jul 7, 2017

Well, I tried something else in the meantime and it ended up with some different results. The Phanteks Enthoo Pro has this little hub at the back of the case with a couple of 3pin connectors which, I believe, is for the case fans.

Now what I did which (sort of) worked is, I put my CPU fan 4 pin connector (which was first in CPUFAN1) in the hub.
And the case fans connector (which I put in SYSFAN2 at first) in the CPUFAN1. Now, upon booting the system, the case fans and CPU cooler both spin.

The reason I said ''sort of worked'' is because although my CPU cooler spins upon booting the system, it stops spinning after the system is booted and never seems to spin, the case fans however, do always spin. Is this because the CPU Cooler is PWM controlled? Because that was my first thought, however, even under load it never really seems to spin either (under load I average about 72 degrees celcius in temps).

I also checked HWMonitor where the ''CPUFANIN'' is spinning, but this I believe are the numbers from the case fans spinning as those are in the CPUFAN1 slot.