Is it normal for a cpu to be at 56C/132F when doing minor functions?

Jul 28, 2015
I'm not seeing any performance issues, but lately I have noticed my pc getting louder. Its making clicking and humming sounds. I checked the temperatures, and they seem a little high. The cpu is at 132F, and everything else, gpu, motherboard, etc, is between 80F-113F. But I have just turned the pc on. A word document was the only thing I opened this morning.

Well, actually, I just tried to search something in files and it took forever and made a dial-up type sound... There is a old hard drive in the computer, but I haven't used it in over a year. Nothing is on it. I just haven't taken it out. I'm not sure how it would effect the computer. There is nothing on it to be accessed.

I built this computer last year... and rebuilt it five times after parts stopped working.

i7 6700K
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 Gaming 8G
GIGABYTE LGA1151 Intel Z170 ATX DDR4 Motherboards (GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra)
Samsung SSD 125gb
Samsung SSD 500gb
Corsair Hydro Series, H100i v2, 240mm
Corsair CX Series, CX750, 750 Watt (750W) Power Supply, 80+ Bronze Certified

Lutfij

Titan
Without the HDD/mechanical drive in your system, does the issue go away? If so then the HDD is what's drawing resources when looking for files. Speaking of which you didn't mention the make and model of the HDD. Pertaining to the cooler, can you hear any grinding noises coming from the CPU/pump/block? Similarly have you made sure you're on the latest BIOS revision?

Jul 28, 2015

So it is not normal?

I'm not dealing with this computer anymore after the trouble it has given me. I've lost a lot of money buying bad BRAND NEW parts from best buy and amazon.(4 motherboards, 2 gpus,and so on) I'm just going to take it to the nearest repair store (its a good one. They specialize in building gaming pcs) and let them deal with it.

All that happens with me is I drag the heavy computer out of its corner, struggle with the slightly bent case cover, add/replace the newest bad part, boot the computer... which normally won't turn on at that point... do research , fix something, boot the computer again, sometimes deal with a locked SSD after a windows install, and then the new part stops working a few days later, and the cycle repeats. And by that point best buy's ridiculous short return policy has expired.
And just for comparison the two computers I built before this worked perfectly. One is still working great with almost the exact same parts.

Thanks, though. Maybe a few years ago I would have tried to fix it myself. But this computer has scared me for life...
That, and the ten laptops I bought and returned before I was able to buy one that wasn't either dead out of box or had unfix-able hardware bugs. (I only lost money of two out of the ten)

Jul 28, 2015

So it is not normal?

I'm not dealing with this computer anymore after the trouble it has given me. I've lost a lot of money buying bad BRAND NEW parts from best buy and amazon.(4 motherboards, 2 gpus,and so on) I'm just going to take it to the nearest repair store (its a good one. They specialize in building gaming pcs) and let them deal with it.

All that happens with me is I drag the heavy computer out of its corner, struggle with the slightly bent case cover, add/replace the newest bad part, boot the computer... which normally won't turn on at that point... do research , fix something, boot the computer again, sometimes deal with a locked SSD after a windows install, and then the new part stops working a few days later, and the cycle repeats. And by that point best buy's ridiculous short return policy has expired.
And just for comparison the two computers I built before this worked perfectly. One is still working great with almost the exact same parts.

Thanks, though. Maybe a few years ago I would have tried to fix it myself. But this computer has scared me for life...
That, and the ten laptops I bought and returned before I was able to buy one that wasn't either dead out of box or had unfix-able hardware bugs. (I only lost money of two out of the ten)