[SOLVED] Is it normal for a graphics card at load to have a TDP lower than expected?

Anon622

Reputable
Apr 20, 2019
I recently got my hands on a MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 3080 and I've noticed that in HWmonitor that during benchmarks (specifically Port Royal), the peak power draw for the GPU is 330 watts while the estimated TDP is 340. Is it okay for my GPU to be under the expected TDP at load? My card seems to run just fine and stable despite being under.

Solution
a lot factors into how much power it uses. so not being exactly what is advertised is not a big deal.

assuming it is getting the performance it is supposed to, then lower power used is a good thing :)

also keep in mind you will never get exactly the same benchmakr numbers "that guy got with the EXACT same hardware". it's just not gonna happen. look at a bunch of reviews and so long as you are in the ball park you're good to go. don't spend all your time wondering why you get 2 fps lower than some youtube video you saw. it's never gonna match perfectly.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a lot factors into how much power it uses. so not being exactly what is advertised is not a big deal.

assuming it is getting the performance it is supposed to, then lower power used is a good thing :)

also keep in mind you will never get exactly the same benchmakr numbers "that guy got with the EXACT same hardware". it's just not gonna happen. look at a bunch of reviews and so long as you are in the ball park you're good to go. don't spend all your time wondering why you get 2 fps lower than some youtube video you saw. it's never gonna match perfectly.

Solution