[SOLVED] Is it normal for a new PSU to have a weird smell?

Feb 15, 2020
After building my first computer, I've began to notice (day 1 of usage) the PSU has a weird smell coming from it. You have to be quite close to smell it - and I can't quite describe the smell other than like a 'hot' type? No clue how to describe it.

My PSU is a Corsair RM750 80+ GOLD

The system seems stable according to 3dMark which I let run through its whole stress-test. However not sure how accurate that is.

After building my first computer, I've began to notice (day 1 of usage) the PSU has a weird smell coming from it. You have to be quite close to smell it - and I can't quite describe the smell other than like a 'hot' type? No clue how to describe it.

The system seems stable according to 3dMark which I let run through its whole stress-test. However not sure how accurate that is.
Yes that is normal for a new PSU to smell for a while. There are oils that are burning off and it takes a while for them to completely go away.

Yes that is normal for a new PSU to smell for a while. There are oils that are burning off and it takes a while for them to completely go away.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS