[SOLVED] Is it normal for a pc to not boot correctly after a power outage?

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
I believe there was a power outage. When I first turned on my pc this morning, there was no display output. Peripherals were functioning, although no fan ramp-ups or anything. Also, it turned off with the touch of the button, not holding it.

Since I have a history of drives just failing on me, could this be the start? The old drives that failed were HDDs, whereas now that I am on my NVMe SSD, it's been pretty much flawless.

After the slight touch which turned it off, after turning it back on, it immediately booted. Should I be careful about it acting like this?

Solution
shutdown with fast startup on puts the pc into a hybrid hibernate state. On startup ifs actually waking up.
restart actually turns PC off for the brief time it is restarting

so i could still be right?

It clearly works most of the time since it has only happened a few times.
the problems appear to mostly be hardware related, not windows itself. So could be drivers.

I don't know what drivers without knowing what you have
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft...

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

on surge protector or ups?
i7-8700
MSI PRO B365M PRO-VDH
Low profile Kingston, 2666mhz, 2 x 8
SN550 NVMe SSD
Thermaltake 500W Smart (white, not gold or anything)

My house is somewhat new, if that changes anything.

I believe the power strip that my monitors and pc are connected to is surge protected. The monitors were completely fine.

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
I would see if it reboots normally....and if it does...I would try it 2 or 3 times.
If it continued to boot normally I would just monitor it.
If not...then you cross that bridge then.
Alright, but I'm not going to take this boot for granted.
The least I could do is finish up my school work, and then troubleshoot. I will update this post hopefully tonight/tomorrow morning.

Since those other drives failed on me, maybe something else in my pc is the culprit that's causing the failure of my drives? I already had a post about it, so I don't think it's up for discussion here though.

" but I'm not going to take this boot for granted. "
I don't think that's a bad idea.

As far as the drives failing...I don't think what happened with that failed startup is necessarily a symptom of a failing drive. I've seen things like that happen and it had nothing to do with the drives.

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
" but I'm not going to take this boot for granted. "
I don't think that's a bad idea.

As far as the drives failing...I don't think what happened with that failed startup is necessarily a symptom of a failing drive. I've seen things like that happen and it had nothing to do with the drives.
I'll keep that noted. Thank you!
Most of the drivers were old anyway, and had physical issues to them. (clicking and rewinding noise when in use)

Thanks! Ill update this when I get more info.

Hard drives are mechanical devices and updates can take time.
SSD devices complete I/O much faster.
Windows allows you to implement drive cacheing for better performance.
Enabling that exposes you to a failure to complete an update in the event of a power failure.
One good reason for a UPS.
You might run chkdsk to check the integrity of your files.

D

Deleted member 2720853

This is why I keep my system on a CP1500EPFCLCD UPS. Bonus feature is making BIOS updates less scary.

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
You're welcome and good luck.
It is now the next morning. It turned on with no issues!

Also, previously, there was another thing that made me question what ruined my past drives. For example, 2 of them seemed to die on me when I made a hardware change. (hard clicking, rewind noises, etc)
I recently purchased an AIO, do you think that problem will persist if I decide to install this AIO?
Yes, the first hardware change that ruined it was literally a fan hub. Yes, I am also confused about how a fan hub and a case upgrade made two hard drives fail.
The drives were from 2013 but I'm sure it was not a coincidence.

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
I don't see how making a hardware change correctly could make a drive die unless the hardware was bad...and even then...I only see high voltages and/or temps killing it.
It was very strange. Couldn't load windows afterwards, drive ticking, then infinite BSoD's.
Do you believe the problem will persist now that I am on this nvme?

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
I'm still not convinced the drive problem is related.
I'm leaning on "coincidence".
If I were you....I would just run it.
It happened twice which is the real deal for me. I read somewhere online that frequent hardware changes can cause certain disrupts like that.. but I have never heard anybody else say that. I am installing the AIO soon (1-2 weeks) and will let you know. Thanks!

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
You're welcome.
Update : I had the boot issue again. It didn't really turn on, all RGB was on but no output. PC turned off after the quickest touch of the power button. Pressed again, and it booted just fine.

Why is this happening? Is this something to worry about?

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
So this is the first time it's happened in weeks?
Problems like this are hard to troubleshoot.
I would think either power supply or motherboard though.
My motherboard is only a few months old, but manufacturing defects are always common.
My PSU sucks, along with my RAM. I was speaking with a friend and we led to the issue being the RAM, since it was extremely low budget and migrated from an old prebuilt.

And yes, this is the first time it's happened in weeks. The last time was when I first documented it. Is it even something to worry about?

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
"Is it even something to worry about? "
I think most likely not....as in I don't think any hardware is being damaged.

...as far as the RAM....it may be the RAM...but in my experience with RAM....it's generally not an intermittent problem...but it can be
Going to revamp my build soon, along with the PSU, and RAM. Let's hope it doesn't stay.

Ill try to put it at the back of my mind and not worry.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Windows 10 isn't off when its shutdown, its in a low power state.
The only times it is off is in the restart operation or if you unplug it.
If its fine after a restart, it could be drivers

Try turning it off and see if it makes any difference, you don't need it on with an nvme - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Its only really handy for hdd as it makes them look faster at boot.

I seen windows go corrupt after being unplugged with it on.

llxy

Prominent
Feb 3, 2021
Windows 10 isn't off when its shutdown, its in a low power state.
The only times it is off is in the restart operation or if you unplug it.
If its fine after a restart, it could be drivers

Try turning it off and see if it makes any difference, you don't need it on with an nvme - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
What drivers could it be? And it's not just video output missing, the pc turns right back off with a short click of the power button, not hold.
Also, the two times that it happened, it was from a shutdown, not a restart, so you may be correct.