[SOLVED] Is it normal for an HDD to make low pitched noises when in use?

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
I have a brand new PC with a 1TB WD Blue HDD. It would make low pitches noises as if something is moving on the inside when in use, be it opening programs and general things such as watching Netflix or Youtube or internet browsing.

My PC is set up in a way that it's right next to my bed, so I can lay in my bed and use my PC meaning that I'm around 1 foot away from it and I can just barely hear the noise. The noise is very faint and absolutely unnoticeable when I have headphones on.

I ran sfc /scannow and wmic diskdrive get model,status. Both found no issues.

Is that normal or should I be worried? I bought the PC yesterday and it has a 2-year warranty should something go wrong.

Solution
I have a brand new PC with a 1TB WD Blue HDD. It would make low pitches noises as if something is moving on the inside when in use, be it opening programs and general things such as watching Netflix or Youtube or internet browsing.

My PC is set up in a way that it's right next to my bed, so I can lay in my bed and use my PC meaning that I'm around 1 foot away from it and I can just barely hear the noise. The noise is very faint and absolutely unnoticeable when I have headphones on.

Is that normal or should I be worried? I bought the PC yesterday and it has a 2-year warranty should something go wrong.
I think chances are it's normal. Hard drives...

I think chances are it's normal. Hard drives make noise when they operate. Some are louder than others. The noises can also be somewhat different.

...and being you aren't getting any errors when you check it...I think this further supports that it's probably normal.

...and also...being you say the noise is faint.

Solution

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020

These noises are quite normal when the head is writing/reading data from the platter, if you are worried download seatools or wd data life guard and run both short test to test peripherals and extended or long test to check integrity of the disk platter, as I said it's most likely normal but prevention is better than cure

Mario Italia

Great
Jul 12, 2020
Normally, the storage drives are quiet and steady, but in case of any physical damages or logical corruption, they can begin to make noise. There are different numbers of hard drives sound for different reasons.

Most of the times there are 4 probable causes for clicking noise of a hard drive:
  1. Insufficient power supply is a very common cause of noise in the hard drive.
  2. Physical damage to the hard drive.
  3. Faulty data cables or incorrect drivers installed.
  4. If a hard drive crashed.
Subsequent fixes to resolve the issue are:
  1. Check whether the hard drive is getting enough power or not.
  2. Replace the data cable with the new one and turn on the drive.
  3. In case the drive still makes noises, then there is a high possibility the drive is failing and needs to be replaced.
Exactly, and in rare cases a faulty firmware can cause an hdd to misbehave