[SOLVED] Is it normal for an iGPU to reach 100% in gaming?

Nov 1, 2020
Specs:
i3-9100 3.6GHz
UHD 630 [128 Dedicated Memory & 7GB Shared]
12GB RAM [1x8+1x4] 2400MHz

When I play games like Borderlands 2 which requires 256MB VRAM my iGPU goes to 100%. The same happens with Warframe and MGSV: TPP.

Is that a normal occurrence considering it's an iGPU or should it not reach 99-100%. I don't have any big frame drops or other issues, the games works just fine and I've been playing for about 4-6hrs on a new machine.

Solution
And thats not a bad thing? Nothing negative or critically bad should happen to shorten my iGPU life?

I'm upgrading soon, hopefully around black friday.

iGPUs are too weak compared to discrete GPUs, so games utilize it 100% even if you play on low resolutions and settings. But there's nothing wrong with iGPU working full-load as long as you keep it cool. Been playing games with Intel HD 4000 for 7 years (mostly racing titles) and never had any issues, except I had to play at lower graphics to get decent fps.
Jan 19, 2020
wasted.home.blog
And thats not a bad thing? Nothing negative or critically bad should happen to shorten my iGPU life?

I'm upgrading soon, hopefully around black friday.

iGPUs are too weak compared to discrete GPUs, so games utilize it 100% even if you play on low resolutions and settings. But there's nothing wrong with iGPU working full-load as long as you keep it cool. Been playing games with Intel HD 4000 for 7 years (mostly racing titles) and never had any issues, except I had to play at lower graphics to get decent fps.

Solution
Nov 1, 2020

Got it, thanks for the reply. One more thing. So when at 100% GPU and ~60% CPU there's quite a lot of noise. Is that normal as well? I'm using a prebuilt PC and don't know the fan quality.

Jan 19, 2020
wasted.home.blog
Got it, thanks for the reply. One more thing. So when at 100% GPU and ~60% CPU there's quite a lot of noise. Is that normal as well? I'm using a prebuilt PC and don't know the fan quality.

Noises must be coming from your CPU fan. Are you using the stock CPU fan, or some aftermarket aircooler or watercooler?

If you're using stock cooler, you should worry about high temperatures. I'd recommend an aircooler for your Core i3 9100 with a decent heatsink and 2 or just 1 fan.

About the noise, fans make louder noises when they spin faster, which is normal. But if the noise is too loud, you might wanna check if your fan is broken. You may need to blow the dust off your fan, and apply some oil, but if blades are detatched from ball-bearings, or you see other kinds of physical damage, you should replace it with a new fan. A broken fan can lead CPU to overheat and fail.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020
Noises must be coming from your CPU fan. Are you using the stock CPU fan, or some aftermarket aircooler or watercooler?

If you're using stock cooler, you should worry about high temperatures. I'd recommend an aircooler for your Core i3 9100 with a decent heatsink and 2 or just 1 fan.

About the noise, fans make louder noises when they spin faster, which is normal. But if the noise is not normal, you might wanna check if your fan is broken. You may blow the dust off your fan, and appy some oil, but wings are detatched from ball-bearings, or you see other kinds of physical damage, you should replace it with a new fan. A broken fan can lead CPU to overheat and fail.

Tbh I'm not sure which cooler I'm using. I know for certain that the fans are stock.