[SOLVED] is it normal for my i7 10750H to run at 95 celsius in all games?

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
I have an MSI GE66 Raider 10-39UG. It "SHOULD" have good cooling. But in almost all games I play my CPU pretty much sits at 95 celsius at ALL times. Should I attempt to repaste this laptop? its only 6 months old. It does idle at 44 - 55 celsius

Last edited:
Solution
its "normal" for laptop, you could repaste but I suspect thats not the issue. Laptops have trouble getting rid of heat when gaming, even if its a "gaming laptop"
Use throttlestop but make sure you find a good guide to set it up.

I went from 90 celsius to 60 with same performance. What it does its limits the voltage to the CPU thus disallowing to get that warm
Aug 9, 2021
its "normal" for laptop, you could repaste but I suspect thats not the issue. Laptops have trouble getting rid of heat when gaming, even if its a "gaming laptop"

I went from 90 celsius to 60 with same performance. What it does its limits the voltage to the CPU thus disallowing to get that warm

Solution

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020

I actually repasted my laptop shortly after posting this with arctic silver 5. The thermal paste that MSI put on it was so cheap it had already hardened into a dry chalky substance. My cpu temps dropped from 95 celsius on average in all games to 85 celsius, even my gpu temps dropped. they went from 86 celsius to 59 to 70 celsius depending on load. Seems as if I answered my own question. AND my visual stuttering went away. Cheers =D. I can actually undervolt with my bios on this laptop too so probably gonna do about -.75mv offset too to see how it is.

Aug 9, 2021
Glad the repasting helped :)
I would personally undervolt so max cpu temp is around 70 celsius or less. Could also consider one of those cooling laptop stands, but it should not be needed with proper undervolting

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
Glad the repasting helped :)
I would personally undervolt so max cpu temp is around 70 celsius or less. Could also consider one of those cooling laptop stands, but it should not be needed with proper undervolting
Well I can't undervolt past -.60mv without stability issues. I started at -.45 and worked my way up to .65 in .05 intervals. Laptop crashed at -.65 during stress test. I reduced it to .-55mv. With the arctic silver 5 I put on the CPU and the GPU it really did make a difference. Even my GPU is running cooler. This laptop has 2 heat syncs so cooling is ok now I think. Most games it runs at 65 celsius now up to 70 but there are some games that do still push it up to 90s like warzone but it doesn't thermal throttle at 95c anymore. For example before repasting and undervolting it would thermal throttle at 95 celsius in about all games other than world of warcrap. I think with the undervolt and the better thermal paste, and a better pasting job than MSI did fixed it. (MSI had so much thermal paste it was seeping out to the mobo) but anyways I am Pretty sure this laptop is gonna get to 90c under max loads because it has a 220 watt psu instead of the average 130 watt. I also know that intels critical points are 105 celsius so I think with the thermal throttling elimated is really the biggest thing because now I am not suffering performance loss and according to user benchmark my performance went from being in the top 20% to the top 10%. Its average boost clocks evened out too. So thanks for the advice with the undervolting, I think with the thermal paste job. Really happy with the results and no longer regretting buying a laptop because of this GPU shortage lol. Cheers!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS