[SOLVED] Is it normal for Ryzen 7 3700x to boost when idle? which is causing high temps

Sep 17, 2020
I recently purchased a Ryzen 7 3700x and when I'm performing basic tasks such as using Chrome, Discord etc. the CPU seems to go up to 4.3ghz which causes the temps to go as high as 67c. So the temps just keep going from 38-67. Is this normal? I updated bios to the newest version and have the latest chipset drivers. I'm using MSI X470 Gaming Plus Motherboard.

dimtodim

Reputable
I recently purchased a Ryzen 7 3700x and when I'm performing basic tasks such as using Chrome, Discord etc. the CPU seems to go up to 4.3ghz which causes the temps to go as high as 67c. So the temps just keep going from 38-67. Is this normal? I updated bios to the newest version and have the latest chipset drivers. I'm using MSI X470 Gaming Plus Motherboard.
i have ryzen 9 3900x and temp jumping on underload from 35-45 cooler is dark rock pro 4 no air condition in room..i dont know what is your cooler and ambien temp...but i think its little high 67

Two things to point out here:
  1. The way Windows schedules work is it'll pile up pending tasks and takes care of them all at once at regular intervals. This is so the CPU actually has a chance to go into lower power states. Since a single core can typically handle all of these tasks, the scheduler has one core do all of them and said core boosts straight to max boost.
  2. Ryzen reports CPU temp as the hottest thing in the CPU. The processor die itself is still likely something like 35-40C.

Sep 17, 2020
i think that cooler isnt good...but what can u do offset voltage in bios or use 1usmus power plan...what is mobo?
The temps stay around 36-44 when I have everything closed but as soon as I open a program it spikes because the cpu boosts itself to 4.2-4.4ghz even though it isn't necessary to perform the task. I'm using MSI X470 Gaming Plus Motherboard.

dimtodim

Reputable
The temps stay around 36-44 when I have everything closed but as soon as I open a program it spikes because the cpu boosts itself to 4.2-4.4ghz even though it isn't necessary to perform the task. I'm using MSI X470 Gaming Plus Motherboard.
try offset cpu voltage in bios -0.1...i do only that...install al suite 3 and u can use smart fan controler...if u have proper pc case and air flow...

Sep 17, 2020
Two things to point out here:
  1. The way Windows schedules work is it'll pile up pending tasks and takes care of them all at once at regular intervals. This is so the CPU actually has a chance to go into lower power states. Since a single core can typically handle all of these tasks, the scheduler has one core do all of them and said core boosts straight to max boost.
  2. Ryzen reports CPU temp as the hottest thing in the CPU. The processor die itself is still likely something like 35-40C.
This is normal? So what you're saying is that the cpu boosts one core to perform all tasks to use the least amount of cores and the 67c temps are only for a split second?

This is normal? So what you're saying is that the cpu boosts one core to perform all tasks to use the least amount of cores and the 67c temps are only for a split second?
Not exactly: it boosts one core to perform one task extremely quickly so the resulting 67C temp spike is for a split second on that one core. Then it might boost one other core to perform one other task and so on and so on. Windows can have up to 100 different services and tasks running, many if not most are completely idle but the scheduler has the rest doing a round robbin beat-down on the processor, one after another, with a short 'rest' between.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Agreed with both Zerk and Drea.

Ryzen also operates a rather vibrant boost from sleep feature too, where it will push a large voltage into a core to boost it from sleep to high and then balance out. This results in high and erratic temp spikes at seemingly low loads also.

Just keep an eye on your temps under load and ensure they don't surpass 90 degrees C and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Ah, I see

Thank you everyone for the help!
YVW...

One other thing you might do is get HWInfo64. It has a Temp die (average) reading that better represents the true thermal state of the CPU. You'll see that temp is pretty low until you start a process that works the CPU harder (like rendering a video, extracting compressed files from an archive, etc.) Also, Ryzenmaster from AMD has a temperature readout that does something very similar.