[SOLVED] Is it normal for sfc /scannow to find and repair errors on a new PC?

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
I had my PC for 1.5 months and I run sfc /scannow every other week. So far it's found and repaired errors twice.

I'm just wondering if that's a normal occurrence since I only use my PC for general browsing, Youtube, Netflix/HBO Streaming and Office and Photoshop work on occasion.

Solution
why run sfc so often?

windows 10 isn't unstable, I have yet to find anything wrong on any time i have run it on this PC for 5 years now. And that isn't veryu often.

I have heard of it failing on new version installs. Often you can blame new versions of windows for that. Microsoft have been known to release broken versions of it and DISM.

Also, if you want to fully check windows
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files that SFC uses to fix the PC, so its just a backup. If SFC failed to fix errors...

Lutfij

Titan
If the system has an HDD in it, use CrstalDIskMark to run a benchmark on your HDD. Locate the HDD's make and model using Device Manager under Disk Drives and download the utility to test whether the HDD has any bad sectors(is faulty or failing).

The other thing you will need to do is check and see which version of Windows 10 you're on. You could also keep a backup of all critical data from the installation drive onto a portable HDD, in case you need to reinstall the OS.

Speaking of OS, where did you source the installer for the OS?

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
I have the latest version of Windows that being the 2004 release. I installed it directly from Microsoft's website and used a license linked to my Microsoft account which I have for 4+ years.

I have an SSD on which Windows is installed and an HDD, WD Caviar Blue to be precise.

Here is the screenshot from CristalDiskMark:
oyxt5C4.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
why run sfc so often?

windows 10 isn't unstable, I have yet to find anything wrong on any time i have run it on this PC for 5 years now. And that isn't veryu often.

I have heard of it failing on new version installs. Often you can blame new versions of windows for that. Microsoft have been known to release broken versions of it and DISM.

right click start button

and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files that SFC uses to fix the PC, so its just a backup. If SFC failed to fix errors before running 2nd command, run SFC again and restart PC.

Solution

AaronKyle

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 30, 2019
why run sfc so often?

windows 10 isn't unstable, I have yet to find anything wrong on any time i have run it on this PC for 5 years now. And that isn't very often.

I have heard of it failing on new version installs. Often you can blame new versions of windows for that. Microsoft has been known to release broken versions of it and DISM.

right-click start button

and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files that SFC uses to fix the PC, so its just a backup. If SFC failed to fix errors before running 2nd command, run it again and restart PC.

Thanks for the input. So getting errors and having them fixed by sfc on occasion is normal even on brand new PC's?

And yet I've noticed absolutely nothing wrong with my PC.