Question Is it normal for the Ryzen 7 7700x to have temperature spikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 5, 2023
I recently upgraded to a ryzen 7 7700x and have been noticing spikes in temperature when opening a browser or game, the cpu randomly jumps from 37c to 50-65c and then goes back down to normal but it seems pretty concerning i just want to know if i should worry about this.

Apr 5, 2023
i also want to include that whenever i load up forza the temperature jumps from 36c to 85c in less than a second and then cools back down to normal temps

The cooling back down to normal temps may be a result of thermal throttling.

What cooler are you using?

Probably worth removing the cooler, inspecting the thermal paste spread that you got on your first application, then re-pasting and remount the cooler.

While you've got the CPU cleaned off, do a dry fit of the cooler (without paste). Tighten everything down and make sure you can't wiggle the cooler on the CPU. I had this (mounting pressure) issue with my 5600G and Asetek AIO and [first] AM4 bracket. The bolt posts on the bracket were a millimeter too long and the cooler basically had zero pressure against the CPU.

Yes, this is normal. It's been this way since Ryzen came out. Ryzen CPU's report their temperature as the hottest thing in the processor, and when there's something to do, Windows will shove it onto one or two cores typically. Those cores will then jump to a really high boost speed, which greatly increases the temperature for that core.

If there's nothing else going on, it'll drop back down to idle until there's housekeeping tasks to do, in which case, you'll see periodic temperature spikes. If you're gaming, it'll level out eventually once more cores are being used.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Apr 5, 2023
The cooling back down to normal temps may be a result of thermal throttling.

What cooler are you using?

Probably worth removing the cooler, inspecting the thermal paste spread that you got on your first application, then re-pasting and remount the cooler.

While you've got the CPU cleaned off, do a dry fit of the cooler (without paste). Tighten everything down and make sure you can't wiggle the cooler on the CPU. I had this (mounting pressure) issue with my 5600G and Asetek AIO and [first] AM4 bracket. The bolt posts on the bracket were a millimeter too long and the cooler basically had zero pressure against the CPU.
Im using a corsair h150i elite capellix and I've already tried re-pasting with mx-6 and i still have the same temps

Apr 5, 2023
Ryzen 7 7700x
Gigabyte B650 Aorus elite
rtx 4070 ti
refurbished corsair h150i elite cappelix
hyte y60
2tb m.2 drive
ddr5 corsair vengeance 5600mhz
I have 8 fans in total, 5 intake and 3 exhaust
I did remove the protective film and have reapplied 4 types of thermal pastes including mx6, xtm50 , mx4 and NT-H2 and i get the same results with all of them.

kanewolf

Titan
Ryzen 7 7700x
Gigabyte B650 Aorus elite
rtx 4070 ti
refurbished corsair h150i elite cappelix
hyte y60
2tb m.2 drive
ddr5 corsair vengeance 5600mhz
I have 8 fans in total, 5 intake and 3 exhaust
I did remove the protective film and have reapplied 4 types of thermal pastes including mx6, xtm50 , mx4 and NT-H2 and i get the same results with all of them.
Run with the side panel removed. You have lots of fans but may still have airflow problems.

realism51

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012
I am invested in this because I have the same set up and have noticed the heat issue as well, i was doing good at 51 c then it goes to 62c and sometimes mid 70s c, which is insane considering the type of cooler we have. Even set to max, it doesnt budge on temps.

Apr 5, 2023
I am invested in this because I have the same set up and have noticed the heat issue as well, i was doing good at 51 c then it goes to 62c and sometimes mid 70s c, which is insane considering the type of cooler we have. Even set to max, it doesnt budge on temps.
hello, I dont really know anything about computers as this is my first build but I think I found a solution, I dont know if there are any downsides to this but I have been testing this for about a week and have found that the temperatures dropped allot (38C idle and a max of 71c) I have tested it on cinebench r23 and my score is up by a few, I mostly play warzone and have gotten a few more frames than stock and that runs at about 44C, I just followed a guide on youtube its called (Fixing Ryzen 7000 - pbo2 tune (insanity)) by optimum tech, from my experience I would say this is a must as It makes the pc run cooler and even a little bit faster.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Apr 5, 2023
The temps are also more consitant as they dont randomly spike up 10 degrees anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.