Question Is it normal for the vram to have a higher temperature than the hot spot?

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
I have a Raijintek Morpheus 8069 heatsink on my undervolted RTX 4080 Super . When playing at 2k resolution, ultra details, RT on, the GPU temperature reaches a maximum of around 62°C, the VRAM temperature 74°C. The hot spot temperature is often 2 - 3 °C lower than the VRAM temperature. Is this normal or do I have too thin thermal pads? Does anyone have a lower hot spot temperature than VRAM?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't see the 4080 or any other AD103 cards in their compatibility list. It appears the intention is to cover the memory chips with the heatspreader, but that isn't directly over the heat pipes like the GPU silicon, so it should cool worse.

As long as you think the thermal pads are making decent contact, not much else you can do but check by removing the heatsink and seeing if everything looks good.

Did you add the supplemental heatsinks for the VRMs? That would help take some of the heat away from the board.

Any particular reason you replaced the stock heatsink? I'm not aware of any particularly bad one, though some do look a little bizarre.

Reactions: Phaaze88

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
That's a bit of a longer story. I bought the card from an inept overclocker who destroyed the original heatsink and replaced it with a Raijintek. He mounted Raijintek incorrectly and then sold it. I added supplemental heatsinks on all VRMs and cutted of two edges of Raijintek plate because of inductors.

20240522_163359.jpg

20240421_104026.jpg

I have a Raijintek Morpheus 8069 heatsink on my undervolted RTX 4080 Super . When playing at 2k resolution, ultra details, RT on, the GPU temperature reaches a maximum of around 62°C, the VRAM temperature 74°C. The hot spot temperature is often 2 - 3 °C lower than the VRAM temperature. Is this normal or do I have too thin thermal pads? Does anyone have a lower hot spot temperature than VRAM?
Unless you're wanting to overclock and increase the voltage, I wouldn't be too concerned about it...the temperature is well below anything worth worrying about.