[SOLVED] Is it normal my Core temps to read 0 degrees for a second

Nov 28, 2021
I recently made a new build with Intel processor after using AMD for many years and finally realized my dream to have a good Desktop Intel CPU in my PC , - following build tought i learned later that wasn't the most adequate choice

Processor - Intel Core i7 11700k
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z590M Gaming X
Cooler - Be quiet pure loop 280mm AIO
RAM - 2x8 GB Kingston Fury 3200 Mhz
PSU - Asus rog 750 W

The problem is that i recenly noticed that the processor minimum core's tepms are dropping to 0 degrees , otherwise everything is perfect , running well and never had problem since 1st start , only that thing is making me can't sleep at night for last couple of days since noticed it , I've trying using other 3rd party software to confirm if its not a software bug , tryed HWinfo , HWMonitor , i readed all the forums and all the internet about Intel i7-11700k and saw that its not the best choice i could've do for a price to perform could've made a better choice with processor or waited for the 12th gen Intel however that's the budget i had and thats the build i made , my processor is brand new 2 months using this biuld since i purchase it
I used IETU - Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and I got the same temperature drops to 0 degrees as some guys from Intel forum said that it could be by any chance cuz of false software however , the same drops occured.

Nov 28, 2021
Hey Phaaze88 , thanks for the reply , , I'm quiet new to the PC building world , I moved from a very old platform to this new Intel one and the speeds that runs are amazing , however so far so good thats the only issue i've met with my build . Should a consider this as an issue ? should i sent back the CPU to the shop and request a new one or i can leave it be and continue running my PC without stressfull toughts, and not worry about it ?

It's a bug exclusive to 11th gen
There are reports that the 12th Gen also report 0°C when idle.

@Fikifo - This bug is not a bug at all. When a core is idle in the C7 state, it is disconnected from the voltage rail and it is disconnected from the internal clock. It is basically sitting there at 0 MHz and 0 volts. Not waking up an idle core to sample its temperature is a good thing. There is no point in waking the core in this situation.

The only purpose of the temperature sensors is to control thermal throttling when the CPU core reaches 100°C. These sensors were never designed or intended to be used to report 100% accurate idle temperatures. Your CPU is fine and does not need to be replaced.

Reactions: Fikifo

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
12th gen too, huh? It's just a feature for these and future Intel chips then.
I could see this as a good thing and a bad thing.
Fewer people getting hung up over 'idle' thermals = good. More people disabling C-states because they don't understand it = bad.

Nov 28, 2021
SO i guess i should just leave it be and continue using my current parts as the system is running flawless and i shouldn't worry and dig any deeper into that , so i guess shouldn't replace or change anything in m C states or other settings for voltages etc.,..

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
SO i guess i should just leave it be and continue using my current parts as the system is running flawless and i shouldn't worry and dig any deeper into that , so i guess shouldn't replace or change anything in m C states or other settings for voltages etc.,..
For the most part, yes.
I do suggest applying a small negative Vcore offset though. Auto Vcore was pretty nuts on Z590 when it first launched. Now, there's probably bios updates available that tighten up those voltage curves via performance or stability improvement, so check for that.
If there isn't such an update available, it shouldn't be too much trouble to use Throttlestop and apply even a -50mv offset. Gigabyte's bios gives me a headache...

Nov 28, 2021
Screenshot t
For the most part, yes.
I do suggest applying a small negative Vcore offset though. Auto Vcore was pretty nuts on Z590 when it first launched. Now, there's probably bios updates available that tighten up those voltage curves via performance or stability improvement, so check for that.
If there isn't such an update available, it shouldn't be too much trouble to use Throttlestop and apply even a -50mv offset. Gigabyte's bios gives me a headache...

o HWInfo - thats what it shows , i'm not so good with voltage and bios stuff , i build it myself from local shop in my country- PC Biuld however i've no clue about other things as Bios and voltages

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Well, I'll try to make it easy.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590M-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
Since there's no listed performance enhancements or stability improvements, this can be left alone for now.

You can get the latest stable version of Throttlestop here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/ (9.4 in green, not the 9.4.2 beta in red)
Run it, and click on the FIVR button. Find the Offset Voltage slider in the new window, slide it to -0.50 and click apply.

Nov 28, 2021
Well, I'll try to make it easy.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590M-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
Since there's no listed performance enhancements or stability improvements, this can be left alone for now.

You can get the latest stable version of Throttlestop here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/ (9.4 in green, not the 9.4.2 beta in red)
Run it, and click on the FIVR button. Find the Offset Voltage slider in the new window, slide it to -0.50 and click apply.

Thank you for the usefull information , that was a lot of help bro ,i'll do it tomorrow or when free infront of PC and will follow your steps closely in the next few days , probably in the weekend will do it when i have piece of mind andmore free time , really appreciate your help @Phaaze88
I ran some Cinebench R23 stress tests single and multi core

Stress test Cinebench R23 results ,