Question Is it normal that you feel electric discharge on a metal laptop if it is not grounded???

McClick

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
8
0
4,510
0
Hi,
I've returned my metal laptop asus vivobook S15, because I can feel subtle electric discharge when I plug it in to a socket without grounding. If the socket has grounding or the laptop works on batteries there is no problem.

However I am a physicist and as far as I know this is not how devices should be designed, grounding should be only in case of some malfunction so you would not injure yourself?
The guys from the service shop are trying to convince me there is nothing wrong and that this is normal.

But it just doesn't make any sense to me. Am I right or wrong on this one???
 
In an ideal world....you wouldn't feel anything even with an un-grounded outlet.

.....but there is always at least a little charge leakage.

Charge leaks into the chassis (or other things that aren't grounded) ....and if it's not grounded the charge remains there and then you feel it.
 
Reactions: TJ Hooker
Hi,
I've returned my metal laptop asus vivobook S15, because I can feel subtle electric discharge when I plug it in to a socket without grounding. If the socket has grounding or the laptop works on batteries there is no problem.

However I am a physicist and as far as I know this is not how devices should be designed, grounding should be only in case of some malfunction so you would not injure yourself?
The guys from the service shop are trying to convince me there is nothing wrong and that this is normal.

But it just doesn't make any sense to me. Am I right or wrong on this one???
It could be static electricity.
I have a metal laptop and I have been getting those for a couple of years when in low humidity and depending on environment (clothing, carpet, sofa, etc).

I know some people that a simple spark from their hands have damage electronics, which were no properly grounded.
 
It could be static electricity.
I have a metal laptop and I have been getting those for a couple of years when in low humidity and depending on environment (clothing, carpet, sofa, etc).
I could also be static electricity....but usually static electricity will just give you a quick shock....and then you have to wait for the charge to build up again before you get another shock.

If it's leakage related, and it's leaking bad enough.....you can get a continuous tingling sensation or worse.
 
Reactions: TJ Hooker

McClick

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
8
0
4,510
0
I could also be static electricity....but usually static electricity will just give you a quick shock....and then you have to wait for the charge to build up again before you get another shock.

If it's leakage related, and it's leaking bad enough.....you can get a continuous tingling sensation or worse.
It is not static it is continuous.
With static you have a discharge and it goes away, at least for a while, but this one does not.
Like I said i disappears with the grounding but I don't there should be any at all, no grounding or otherwise.
 
Dec 12, 2019
13
2
25
1
Hi,
I've returned my metal laptop asus vivobook S15, because I can feel subtle electric discharge when I plug it in to a socket without grounding. If the socket has grounding or the laptop works on batteries there is no problem.

However I am a physicist and as far as I know this is not how devices should be designed, grounding should be only in case of some malfunction so you would not injure yourself?
The guys from the service shop are trying to convince me there is nothing wrong and that this is normal.

But it just doesn't make any sense to me. Am I right or wrong on this one???
Well nope, any electronic device should be made without any problems or harms for us. I know only the situation of my old Pavillion dv6 2009 (plastic laptop) that has a crack onto the surface and if I put it on my legs I could feel some electric vibes, but it's normal haha
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS