Question Is it normal to still be a little bit too slow even w/in AMD R4750G × 48GB DDR4 for file transfers thru mecha drives and/or USB 2.0?

hd_scania

Commendable
Feb 17, 2021
As well, my system monitor also reports that CPU and RAM usage metres aren’t that high
Just 15% of CPU usage and 7 GiB out of 48GB of RAM’s in use, but still actual multimedia transfers are a little bit slow for the system
And why doesn’t the full power of AMD R4750G × 48GB DDR4 also make USB 2.0 or mecha drives faster?
USB 2.0 has to be a legacy feature for a decent system?
And when will SATA SSD’s and/or mecha drives (SATA and/or USB) as well become a legacy?
Why not replace them more with NVMe SSD’s and USB 4.0 SSD’s?
A copy from a microSD to an SATA mecha drive for 80GiB of ASMR audio files spends me about an hour
And moving from USB mecha drives to an SATA mecha drive for 200GiB of 5K wallpapers also spends me 3.5 hours
However, the same of such a move, if i were still on legacy Intels, would be impossible to even made complete

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Not sure I understand many of your questions. There's no official "legacy" status that universally applies to all devices of the same type across the industry.

No, your CPU and RAM don't increase the bandwidth of USB ports or SATA. It's a bit like wondering why your car doesn't accelerate faster because you had a cup of coffee.

People still have use SATA SSDs and mechanical drives for other reason. Data transfer speed is far from the only concern.

Transferring large files from microSDs to anything will always be slow. Like two people running while handcuffed together, file transfer cannot be any faster than the bandwidth of the slowest device involved.

Read up on how Mechanical drives actually work and you will then know why they are so slow at transferring a lot of files, especially small files. 1 Gig of a single files will transfer probably 10xs faster than if that was a 1000 1 meg files. Same size yes, but thinkin of each file as a stop sigh. The larger the file the longer it is to the other size, but you are still only stopping once vs 1000 files.

NVMe is only what, 8TB tops right now? They require PCIe Lanes, and are much more costly. Using a HDD as a storage drive is still highly used in every day use and even in data centers. Now that they are up to what 22/24Tb HDDs, the price of a SSD that size (I'll take Samsung 30TB SATA SSD) was like 15K at the time it came out, when you could use 2-3 drives of that time and spend only 1K. Its all about cost. One day HDD's might be completely gone. Maybe SATA will be completely gone one day. We don't know. The day when NVMe drives are large enough, reliable enough, and the ability to connect as many as you want to a PC like you can with SATA/SAS drives then it will probably become legacy. That or they will just make faster drives and maybe SATA 4 comes out but who knows.

most PC's don't come with USB 2.0, or they do for a few ports to use for things like Mice, Keyboards, Speakers etc where even USb 2.0 is 10 times more bandwidth that it needs. There are no more "Just USB 2.0" and just USB 3.0 (Or 3.1, 3.2, 3.2x2 , 4) if you want to get technical as they are just USB 3.0 ports wired as 2.0 ports. it is all the same controller for the past like 6 or 7 years now. No USB 2 and USB 3 separate controllers. USB is USB. The only thing that has changed is how fast it can go and how much power it can deliver (besides the Type C port that doesn't affect how USB works).