[SOLVED] Is it ok for my laptop to use on bed with very light usage????

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
If I use my laptop on bed when i do light task like office etc. In these scenario temps are near 45-55C. But at this temp my fan dont kicks. My fan starts to work mostly after temp 60-65C. The back side of my laptop is fully covered (i.e no vent ) except for fan (which is a very little opening). So there is no passage for air to go inside and cooldown motherboard components. I have also tested that using it on the bed and on a hard surface with light usage has a negligible effect on temps(aprox 1 to 3C only). So is it ok if i use my laptop on the bed????

Solution
The fan running or not running is still the same issue for the airflow - there is always convection which cools components when a fan might be throttled down. The fan is there when convection alone isn't enough and requires air to be forced. If the fan or vents are not allowed cool air, the fan spinning or not has little impact. Even at full speed - if you don't have fresh air, the fan isn't going to be as effective and is simply moving hot air as a convection oven does...continually adding heat and just moving that heat around.

Consider someone under water - we always have to breathe, even if we are just slightly submerged and doing little to nothing at all - this airflow is still required. Most people assume you only need scuba...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 or 3 things that create major heat in a laptop, only one of which does not have active cooling. That component is not only a major source of heat, but the overriding controller of every single function, voltage, speed etc of the laptop.

Namely the battery.

With use, the battery discharges and gets pretty warm. Plug it in, and now it's pretty warm + getting hotter with the added charging cycles. There's a reason laptop cooling desk fans exist, just to cool the battery, not to cool the cpu or gpu.

Run the laptop on your bed if you wish, your decision, but after a few minutes stick your hand underneath the laptop and see just how warm the bottom is getting by being insulated the same as you do under the blankets.

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
Namely the battery
My laptop battery isn't produce much heat. The main heat source area is motherboard. I dont know why that area heats up to much. I have sent images here, watch this.
Motherboard image
Back cover without opening

I know CPU can bear a lot of heat. But my main concern is regarding motherboard. Is continious heat for longer duration going to damage component like capacitors, VRM or PCB etc?
Run the laptop on your bed if you wish, your decision, but after a few minutes stick your hand underneath the laptop and see just how warm the bottom is getting by being insulated the same as you do under the blankets.
There is an increse in cpu temp or around 2-5C but the back cover feels hot (than earlier but not much). Battery thermistor temp is same. Back panel feels hot. Maybe motherboard isn't decreasing its temp.

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
If possible, place your laptop on some sort of hard, flat surface if you plan on using it on a soft surface, such as a bed, sofa or even carpeting. This allows airflow to still flow under the device and reach the cooling vents underneath.

A cutting board, book or even a magazine are better than allowing the laptop to heat up due to lack of air reaching those circulation vents.

Of course, there's always the option of getting a laptop stand, platform or cooler which would do the same, but this means spending money whereas the above items are usually in most homes.

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
This allows airflow to still flow under the device and reach the cooling vents underneath.
I have only one portion of vent i.e just beneath the fan. But what the matter is fan dont kicks until temps are above 60C. Now on a light usage my temps are below 60 hence fans dont kicks in. So even if i use it on a hard surface air dont have such pressure to cool down heat sink (bcoz fan is off till 60C).
There is no opening on back to get air near the motherboard to cool it by some extent.
There may be a chance that motherboard components get hot bcoz laptop back panel has now not in contact with air.
Considering above aspects is there laptop use on hard surface and on the bed make any difference for light usage (for temps less than 60C)????

Nikhilniks

Prominent
Apr 6, 2021
Sounds like you didn't need any information from us as the advice seems to trigger the same info said again
Thank you. I respect your advice. Every single advice of people here. I have many earlier doubts which was cleared by a lot of discussions, examples and the mechanism behind it.

This forum has a tremendous support thats why asked for the real reason behind it. Some of device use only active cooling like surface book with same processor then why laptops can't be.

Every single people tells to use laptop on the hard surface so there is a air flow. But they don't explain if there is fan isn't using (as load is not much) then why it is a bad idea to use on the bed (and here I repeated it again but not intentionally).

I got answer. But again I thanks and it is not true i don't need information from your side.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The fan running or not running is still the same issue for the airflow - there is always convection which cools components when a fan might be throttled down. The fan is there when convection alone isn't enough and requires air to be forced. If the fan or vents are not allowed cool air, the fan spinning or not has little impact. Even at full speed - if you don't have fresh air, the fan isn't going to be as effective and is simply moving hot air as a convection oven does...continually adding heat and just moving that heat around.

Consider someone under water - we always have to breathe, even if we are just slightly submerged and doing little to nothing at all - this airflow is still required. Most people assume you only need scuba gear if you are swimming, or working under water, which helps provide air under pressure to you to breathe at interval, but you can just as easily use a snorkel just beneath the surface to get air as needed. Either way, you still need air.

Putting a laptop on a surface which allows airflow gives the device the ability to operate normally and can help the need for the fan to be used or at full speed.

Solution