[SOLVED] Is it OK to build a system on a table-top like this? Should it boot?

Feb 3, 2020
Hi, after building a system, sadly, I am having a POST error with an ASUS Zenith II Extreme. So I disassembled everything, and from some tips I found, went about building it on a wooden table-top. Unfortunately, the problem still remains, but I would like to ensure that, theoretically, the way I built the system, everything should POST correctly.

Video showing the system build

As you can see, it is a very minimal build (no storage, no peripherals aside from GPU). It does not have any cooling, but it should be OK just to get the system to POST followed by a quick turn off, right?

Thanks!

Solution
Where you build your system doesn't matter as long as you take matters to protect yourself from electro static shocks.

Your build should have, at least at the minimum, some kind of system cooling. It doesn't matter if there are any or no case fans attached, but your build won't boot without a CPU cooler attached.
Feb 3, 2020
Thanks for your attention. It looks like the board doesn't give an error code, just a "POST ERROR" that has been the bane of other RoG-ers.

I'm having a replacement board arriving tomorrow. Would it be okay to do this exact same configuration with the new board and hit "START?" Taking your feedback into account, is it worth installing the stock cooler just to prove the POST? I wouldn't leave it on long once it posts.

Of course hoping the new board posts tomorrow... eek.

g-unit1111

Titan
Where you build your system doesn't matter as long as you take matters to protect yourself from electro static shocks.

Your build should have, at least at the minimum, some kind of system cooling. It doesn't matter if there are any or no case fans attached, but your build won't boot without a CPU cooler attached.

Solution
Feb 3, 2020
I ordered an air cooler for the purposes of this bench build (thanks Amazon 1 day delivery). Looking forward to testing tomorrow with the new mobo, CPU, air cooler, 1 stick of RAM, PSU, and VGA. The only connections I'll make to the mobo are 24 pin power, 8 pin power, second 8 pin power, and CPU_FAN for the cooler. Sounds safe to do so after your replies. Thanks! I'm being ultra careful because I'm afraid of making a mistake with the second board.