[SOLVED] Is it ok to buy this hard drive?

ciprianburbulea

Reputable
Aug 23, 2018
So recently I saw there is a nearby store that is sellling used hdd.
And i found a pretty good one i think its a WD 1tb enterprise but he said it was used in a server and that it has about 28k hours on it. It is really cheap tho its 17$ and I was wondering if it is a good deal (I am planning to store games on it and videos and stuff.) there are also some 2tb versions with 25-30k hours too.

Solution
it could be alright but probably not worth the headache your choice I have bought 2nd hand stuff including hard drives but if you can save for a new then I suggest you do.

Lutfij

Titan
so long as the files you're going to store on it, won't be cause to pull and tear away your hair when the drive does croak, then go ahead buy it! If you're looking for peace of mind, like most people who spend their money, then buy a brand new drive, which gives you the added benefit of warranty on the driver(not the data).

As it stands, you won't get warranty on a used drive, not on that class of drives at least.

ciprianburbulea

Reputable
Aug 23, 2018
so long as the files you're going to store on it, won't be cause to pull and tear away your hair when the drive does croak, then go ahead buy it! If you're looking for peace of mind, like most people who spend their money, then buy a brand new drive, which gives you the added benefit of warranty on the driver(not the data).

As it stands, you won't get warranty on a used drive, not on that class of drives at least.
Well most of my components are used and not a single thing broke until now. Just idk does 28k hours seem much? i currently have 15k on mine and had it for years.