Is it OK to connect one 3-way RGB splitter to another?

Jun 9, 2018
Hello.

I have a CM MasterBox Pro 5 RGB case with three RGB fans and a CM ML120L liquid CPU cooler with an RGB fan and RBG lit pump logo.

The case came with a 3-way splitter which I connected directly to my motherboard's RGB header (MSI Z370 Gaming Plus). The cooler has two RGB components and another 3-way RGB splitter with a controller and a molex adapter to connect directly to the power supply.

The Mystic Light app from MSI allows me to choose between various colors but it doesn't do anything fancy like rainbow patterns and the animations are limited.

The CPU cooler's RBG controller has a few more options so I'm thinking to just connect all 5 LED features to that controller.

Would that be OK from a current standpoint? I can't find specs for LED current draw so I'm concerned about screwing something up.

The other option would be to connect everything (also by combining the two 3-way splitters) to the motherboard but here I have the same concern about current and the options offered by the software are not great.

I'll appreciate some guidance on this.

Thanks.

Solution
I think those fans only have 4 leds each ??

As you said can't find any specs on the controller at all.

If I'm right & it is only 16 leds total + the pump graphics I can't imagine it's going to be an issue in all honesty.
Jun 9, 2018
Thanks for your feedback. I'm inclined to just try. I'm guessing that the only thing that would be at risk here would be the controller itself as I would not be connecting anything to the motherboard. The controller is powered by a tiny connector which is tied to a molex plug mated directly to the PS cables. Hopefully it will take all the current.

Jun 9, 2018
I did try this and everything seems fine. The three case fans are now connected to the controller through one output of the 3-way splitter, while radiator fan and pump graphics are each connected to one of the remaining two. The fan LED's seem dimmer, which makes sense as power is not split evenly but this is not a big deal as they are behind a darkened plastic panel in the front, while the other two elements are inside the case and visible through the glass side panel. The big benefit, of course is that all are now going through the same animation and colors.

Aug 26, 2018
I heve 2 fans at the front from watercooling And an led on the pump but i want 2 more fans but i only heve 1 1 to 3 splitter Should i order a second one to attech these fans?:??:

TRENDING THREADS