[SOLVED] Is it ok to constantly change BBS Priority?

Apr 17, 2019
I tried to find a thread similar to my question but I can't seem to find it. If it does exists, I'd be happy if someone can point it out to me. I am currently running windows and ubuntu on separate drives and I don't use ubuntu enough to warrant installing the grub bootloader into windows. So instead, I have been switching between the two by swapping the UEFI BBS priorities and restart thecomputer. Is it bad to be constantly switching and should I just deal with the grub bootloader? Thanks for the help!

Apr 17, 2019
I was recently spooked by my friends saying that's one way to brick a motherboard but I have no idea about this stuff so I was wondering if there was a general consensus on it. Thank you very much for putting my worries to rest!

There's nothing bad about that. Do how it's more convenient for you. BBS priorities is like selecting which app to run on your phone, it's a software option and you can do whatever you please.

That said, instead of swapping BBS priorities, you could bring up the boot device selection when PC is turned on. F8 is the common key to press when BIOS/Motherboard logo appears.

Reactions: asuh
Apr 17, 2019
There's nothing bad about that. Do how it's more convenient for you. BBS priorities is like selecting which app to run on your phone, it's a software option and you can do whatever you please.

That said, instead of swapping BBS priorities, you could bring up the boot device selection when PC is turned on. F8 is the common key to press when BIOS/Motherboard logo appears.
I never heard about boot device selection before! Man, that would make swapping a lot easier. Will it automatically change the secure boot or fast boot settings when I switch from windows to ubuntu or is this also an unnecessary worry?

Apr 17, 2019
On dual boot systems fast boot has to be turned off.

Boot menu just gives you option to choose from which device to boot from (without entering BIOS).
Since I have windows boot partition and grub separate, is it still considered dual boot? I installed ubuntu on my second HDD by removing my SSD that had my windows installation to ensure I didn't choose the wrong drive. Also, I'm a bit confused on which fast boot to turn off. Is it the windows one or the BIOS one?

Apr 17, 2019
Yes - it's dual boot. You boot multiple OS on same pc (not using VM).
Fast boot is global BIOS setting - it has to be turned off or you'll get file system corruption.
Sweet, thanks! I feel pretty confident I have the right settings now. So Fast Startup & Fast boot - OFF, Secure boot - ON. I just left it on because everything is working and I don't recall anything important with secure boot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Secure boot has issues with some older legacy equipment and uefi drivers, 750ti were especially crazy during the swap over, but other than that I've never seen a secure boot issue.

It's a good idea to restart the pc periodically anyways, cleans out trash files etc, so periodic reboots into a different OS aren't an issue.