Question Is it OK to get a budget motherboard for an AMD Ryzen 9 7950X?

brandonmacleod21

Honorable
Sep 4, 2018
I'm looking to upgrade my desktop system with a new CPU and cooling system. The CPU I was looking at is the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X but that wouldn't fit on my current motherboard as I need an AM5 socket. The motherboard I'm thinking about is the ASUS Prime B650-plus. This one is a bit cheaper and I'm wondering if there would be any drawbacks to using it. My GPU is an Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti with 48gb of Ram and an SSD on my current motherboard. The other reason I ask is that I was already planning on upgrading my motherboard and I'm wondering about the longevity of going with the cheaper option.

A more expensive motherboard will typically get you more features such as better I/O, better onboard audio, more PCI-E lanes for expandability (X670) and better power delivery for high end CPU's. In terms of the board in question, yes it will run a 7950X. I can't see it reviewed anywhere as it's so new but I wouldn't expect there to be any longevity concerns. You could make the argument though it's such an expensive CPU it deserves a high end board.

... I'm wondering about the longevity of going with the cheaper option.
It's the VRM that would have greatest impact on longevity. I've not seen many reviews of any of the AM5 boards, and even fewer that cover VRM quality on them. But the general consensus has been they're very robust, even more so than the B550, AM4 boards were for Zen 3. If you've checked the board closely for features so that it does what you want I'd say it will probably work well enough even for a 7950.

The one thing I would not do is try fixed, all-core overclocking the processor on it though. But that's even more pointless with Zen 4 than it was with Zen 3 unless going sub-ambient. For that, this board is absolutely not going to be appropriate.