Is it ok to have a i7 2700k cpu and with an amd video card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghythybhy

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hello,
I was going to buy a new PC for gaming and i need help ^^ i want to play battlefield 3 with no lag with good quality i7 2700k is good for gaming too right? and i was thinking if its okay to have an amd video card with it..

Solution
I'd say for BF3 @ ultra settings the CPU is overpowered and the GPU underpowered. Think about i5 2500K with a HD 6970. Or just upgrade the GPU, if you've got cash to spare. And check out that article linked above.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
@iam2thecrowe: It's right that he should focus more on the GPU. But he shouldn't buy the Phenom II 955 BE. he'll have a CPU bottleneck with any high-end card. I'm sufferring from this bottleneck right now.

the community members who replied before me told you the right thing. Get an i5-2500K and with the reaminder of the $1500 budget, get a decent gaming card. I recommend that you buy this rig in separate parts and assemble it yourself as boutique builders like iBUYPOWER make you pay a premium for their builds. That can be used to beef up your hardware configuration.

You can also buy a decent aftermarket cooler and OC your CPU when you feel the need for more performance. I guess you'd get two or three years out of the CPU without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.