[SOLVED] Is it ok to keep an HDD alongside SSD

feca1020

Prominent
Mar 20, 2022
Is keeping an HDD alongside an SSD have a negative effect on the speed of the computer?
Or is there no drawback at all?

Solution
I have 2 Sata SSD, one NVME , one HDD and I am gonna add another HDD, there is no performance loss at all
when you will install a game you will do it on a SSD or NVME and when you launch it your system won't touch the HDD, of course you must install your OS on SSD/nvme too
HDD nowadays are used for storage (videos, photos,...) or and network files sharing like NAS, Samba...for example I can watch a video that I stored in my desktop PC in my bedroom on my Android TV that is in the living room.

ErickParker

Prominent
Dec 30, 2021
Maintaining an installation with SSDs and HDDs shouldn't change the speed of the computer, however when you copy a file from one to the other, the speed will be determined by the bottleneck, in this case the HDD.
Keeping devices too close together is not a good idea. Both work better at lower temperatures and the heat generated by one can affect the other. Also consider that temperature, in addition to affecting performance, can affect the life of the device, these is one of the reasons why there are heat sinks

feca1020

Prominent
Mar 20, 2022
Yea Im sorry, i formulated it kinda wrong, i
I meant having them both in the same system, an SSD and an HDD. And will it effect the speed any negatively. My bad for the "alongside" But we are good, thanks

Yea Im sorry, i formulated it kinda wrong, i
I meant having them both in the same system, an SSD and an HDD. And will it effect the speed any negatively. My bad for the "alongside" But we are good, thanks
No. The only thing that it affects is how fast a program can retrieve something.

However note that "how fast" really depends what's going on. If a program wants to read hundreds of megabytes of data at once or do lots of data requests, it'll be faster on an SSD than an HDD. But if all you're doing is opening a word document (with the program already open) or watching a movie, it might be slightly faster on an SSD, but not enough to matter.

Jeff_120

Honorable
Dec 11, 2016
I have 2 Sata SSD, one NVME , one HDD and I am gonna add another HDD, there is no performance loss at all
when you will install a game you will do it on a SSD or NVME and when you launch it your system won't touch the HDD, of course you must install your OS on SSD/nvme too
HDD nowadays are used for storage (videos, photos,...) or and network files sharing like NAS, Samba...for example I can watch a video that I stored in my desktop PC in my bedroom on my Android TV that is in the living room.

Solution